找回密码
 注册
楼主: 一江春水
打印 上一主题 下一主题

苏菲的世界 Sophies World

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2019-1-17 12:48:51 | 只看该作者
Fate

the "fortune-teller" is trying to foresee something that is really quite unforeseeable ...

Sophie had been keeping her eye on the mailbox while she read about Democritus. But just in case, she decided nevertheless to take a stroll down to the garden gate.

When she opened the front door she saw a small envelope on the front step. And sure enough--it was addressed to Sophie Amundsen.

So he had tricked her! Today of all days, when she had kept such careful watch on the mailbox, the mystery man had sneaked up to the house from a different angle and just laid the letter on the step before making off into the woods again. Drat!

How did he know that Sophie was watching the mailbox today? Had he seen her at the window? Anyway, she was glad to find the letter before her mother arrived.

Sophie went back to her room and opened the letter. The white envelope was a bit wet around the edges, and had two little holes in it. Why was that? It had not rained for several days.

The little note inside read:

Do you believe in Fate?

Is sickness the punishment of the gods?

What forces govern the course of history?

Did she believe in Fate? She was not at all sure. But she knew a lot of people who did. There was a girl in her class who read horoscopes in magazines. But if they believed in astrology, they probably believed in Fate as well, because astrologers claimed that the position of the stars influenced people's lives on Earth.

If you believed that a black cat crossing your path meant bad luck--well, then you believed in Fate, didn't you? As she thought about it, several more examples of fatalism occurred to her. Why do so many people knock on wood, for example? And why was Friday the thirteenth an unlucky day? Sophie had heard that lots of hotels had no room number 13. It had to be because so many people were superstitious.

"Superstitious." What a strange word. If you believed in Christianity or Islam, it was called "faith." But if you believed in astrology or Friday the thirteenth it was superstition! Who had the right to call other people's belief superstition?

Sophie was sure of one thing, though. Democritus had not believed in fate. He was a materialist. He had only believed in atoms and empty space.

Sophie tried to think about the other questions on the note.

"Is sickness the punishment of the gods?" Surely nobody believed that nowadays? But it occurred to her that many people thought it helped to pray for recovery, so at any rate they must believe that God had some power over people's health.

The last question was harder to answer. Sophie had never given much thought to what governed the course of history. It had to be people, surely? If it was God or Fate, people had no free will.

The idea of free will made Sophie think of something else. Why should she put up with this mysterious philosopher playing cat and mouse with her? Why couldn't she write a letter to him. He (or she) would quite probably put another big envelope in the mailbox during the night or sometime tomorrow morning. She would see to it that there was a letter ready for this person.

Sophie began right away. It was difficult to write to someone she had never seen. She didn't even know if it was a man or a woman. Or if he or she was old or young. For that matter, the mysterious philosopher could even be someone she already knew. She wrote:

Most respected philosopher, Your generous correspondence course in philosophy is greatly appreciated by us here. But it bothers us not to know who you are. We therefore request you to use your full name. In return we would like to extend our hospitality should you care to corne and have coffee with us, but preferably when my mother is at home. She is at work from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day from Monday to Friday. I am at school during these days, but I am always home by 2:15 p.m., except on Thursdays. I am also very good at making coffee.

Thanking you in advance, I remainYour attentive student,Sophie Amundsen (aged 14)

At the bottom of the page she wrote RSVP.

Sophie felt that the letter had turned out much too formal. But it was hard to know which words to choose when writing to a person without a face. She put the letter in a pink envelope and addressed it "To the philosopher."

The problem was where to put it so her mother didn't find it. She would have to wait for her to get home before putting it in the mailbox. And she would also have to remember to look in the mailbox early the next morning before the newspaper arrived. If no new letter came for her this evening or during the night, she would have to take the pink envelope in again.

Why did it all have to be so complicated?

That evening Sophie went up to her room early, even though it was Friday. Her mother tried to tempt her with pizza and a thriller on TV, but Sophie said she was tired and wanted to go to bed and read. While her mother sat watching TV, she sneaked out to the mailbox with her letter.

Her mother was clearly worried. She had started speaking to Sophie in a different tone since the business with the white rabbit and the top hat. Sophie hated to be a worry to her mother, but she just had to go upstairs and keep an eye on the mailbox.

When her mother came up at about eleven o'clock, Sophie was sitting at the window staring down the road.

"You're not still sitting there staring at the mailbox!" she said.

"I can look at whatever I like."

"I really think you must be in love, Sophie. But if he is going to bring you another letter, he certainly won't come in the middle of the night."

Yuck! Sophie loathed all that soppy talk about love. But she had to let her mother go on believing it was true.

"Is he the one who told you about the rabbit and the top hat?" her mother asked.

Sophie nodded.

"He--he doesn't do drugs, does he?"

Now Sophie felt really sorry for her mother. She couldn't go on letting her worry this way, although it was completely nutty of her to think that just because someone had a slightly bizarre idea he must be on something. Grownups really were idiotic sometimes.

She said, "Mom, I promise you once and for all I'll never do any of that stuff... and he doesn't either. But he is very interested in philosophy."

"Is he older than you?"

Sophie shook her head.

"The same age?"

Sophie nodded.

"Well, I'm sure he's very sweet, darling. Now I think you should try and get some sleep."

But Sophie stayed sitting by the window for what seemed like hours. At last she could hardly keep her eyes open. It was one o'clock.

She was just about to go to bed when she suddenly caught sight of a shadow emerging from the woods.

Although it was almost dark outside, she could make out the shape of a human figure. It was a man, and Sophie thought he looked quite old. He was certainly not her age! He was wearing a beret of some kind.

She could have sworn he glanced up at the house, but Sophie's light was not on. The man went straight up to the mailbox and dropped a big envelope into it. As he let go of it, he caught sight of Sophie's letter. He reached down into the mailbox and fished it up. The next minute he was walking swiftly back toward the woods. He hurried down the woodland path and was gone.

Sophie felt her heart pounding. Her first instinct was to run after him in her pajamas but she didn't dare run after a stranger in the middle of the night. But she did have to go out and fetch the envelope.

After a minute or two she crept down the stairs, opened the front door quietly, and ran to the mailbox. In a flash she was back in her room with the envelope in her hand. She sat on her bed, holding her breath. After a few minutes had passed and all was still quiet in the house, she opened the letter and began to read.

She knew this would not be an answer to her own letter. That could not arrive until tomorrow.

FATE

Good morning once again, my dear Sophie. In case you should get any ideas, let me make it quite clear that you must never attempt to check up on me. One day we will meet, but I shall be the one to decide when and where. And that's final. You are not going to disobey me, are you?

But to return to the philosophers. We have seen how they tried to find natural explanations for the transformations in Nature. Previously these things had been ex-plained through myths.

Old superstitions had to be cleared away in other areas as well. We see them at work in matters of sickness and health as well as in political events. In both these areas the Greeks were great believers in fatalism.

Fatalism is the belief that whatever happens is predestined. We find this belief all over the world, not only throughout history but in our own day as welt. Here in the Nordic countries we find a strong belief in "lagnadan," or fate, in the old Icelandic sagas of the Edda.

We also find the belief, both in Ancient Greece and in other parts of the world, that people could learn their fate from some form of oracle. In other words, that the fate of a person or a country could be foreseen in various ways.

There are still a lot of people who believe that they can tell your fortune in the cards, read your palm, or predict your future in the stars.

A special Norwegian version of this is telling your fortune in coffee cups. When a coffee cup is empty there are usually some traces of coffee grounds left. These might form a certain image or pattern--at least, if we give our imagination free rein. If the grounds resemble a car, it might mean that the person who drank from the cup is going for a long drive.

Thus the "fortune-teller" is trying to foresee something that is really quite unforeseeable. This is characteristic of all forms of foreseeing. And precisely because what they "see" is so vague, it is hard to repudiate fortune-tellers' claims.

When we gaze up at the stars, we see a veritable chaos of twinkling dots. Nevertheless, throughout the ages there have always been people who believed that the stars could tell us something about our life on Earth. Even today there are political leaders who seek the advice of astrologers before they make any important decisions.

The Oracle at Delphi

The ancient Greeks believed that they could consult the famous oracle at Delphi about their fate. Apollo, the god of the oracle, spoke through his priestess Pythia, who sat on a stool over a fissure in the earth, from which arose hypnotic vapors that put Pythia in a trance. This enabled her to be Apollo's mouthpiece. When people came to Delphi they had to present their question to the priests of the oracle, who passed it on to Pythia. Her answer would be so obscure or ambiguous that the priests would have to interpret it. In that way, the ieople got the benefit of Apollo's wisdom, believing that e knew everything, even about the future.

There were many heads of state who dared not go to war or take other decisive steps until they had consulted the oracle at Delphi. The priests of Apollo thus functioned more or less as diplomats, or advisers. They were experts with an intimate knowledge of the people and the country.

Over the entrance to the temple at Delphi was a famous inscription: KNOW THYSELF! It reminded visitors that man must never believe himself to be more than mortal--and that no man can escape his destiny.

The Greeks had many stories of people whose destiny catches up with them. As time went by, a number of plays--tragedies--were written about these "tragic" people. The most famous one is the tragedy of King Oedipus.

History and Medicine

But Fate did not just govern the lives of individuals. The Greeks believed that even world history was governed by Fate, and that the fortunes of war could be swayed by the intervention of the gods. Today there are still many people who believe that God or some other mysterious power is steering the course of history.

But at the same time as Greek philosophers were trying to find natural explanations for the processes of nature, the first historians were beginning to search for natural explanations for the course of history. When a country lost a war, the vengeance of the gods was no longer an acceptable explanation to them. The best known Greek historians were Herodotus (484-424 B.C.) and Thucydides (460-400 B.C.).

The Greeks also believed that sickness could be ascribed to divine intervention. On the other hand, the gods could make people well again if they made the appropriate sacrifices.

This idea was in no way unique to the Greeks. Before the development of modern medicine, the most widely accepted view was that sickness was due to supernatural causes. The word "influenza" actually means a malign influence from the stars.

Even today, there are a lot of people who believe that some diseases--AIDS, for example--are God's punishment. Many also believe that sick people can be cured with the help of the supernatural.

Concurrently with the new directions in Greek philosophy, a Greek medical science arose which tried to find natural explanations for sickness and health. The founder of Greek medicine is said to have been Hippocrates, who was born on the island of Cos around 460 B.C.

The most essential safeguards against sickness, according to the Hippocratic medical tradition, were moderation and a healthy lifestyle. Health is the natural condition. When sickness occurs, it is a sign that Nature has gone off course because of physical or mental imbalance. The road to health for everyone is through moderation, harmony, and a "sound mind in a sound body."

There is a lot of talk today about "medical ethics," which is another way of saying that a doctor must practice medicine according to certain ethical rules. For instance, a doctor may not give healthy people a prescription for narcotics. A doctor must also maintain professional secrecy, which means that he is not allowed to reveal anything a patient has told him about his illness. These ideas go back to Hippocrates. He required his pupils to take the following oath:

I will follow that system or regimen which, according to my ability and judgment, I consider to be for the benefit of my patients, and abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous. 1 will give no deadly medicine to anyone if asked nor suggest any such counsel, and in like manner I will not give to a woman the means to produce an abortion. Whenever I go into a house, I will go for the benefit of the sick and will abstain from every voluntary act of mischief and corruption, and further, from the seduction of females or males, whether freemen or slaves.

Whatever, in connection with my professional practice, I see or hear which ought not to be spoken abroad, I will keep secret. So long as I continue to carry out this oath unviolated, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and the practice of the art, respected by all men in all times, but should I violate this oath, may the reverse be my lot.

Sophie awoke with a start on Saturday morning. Was it a dream or had she really seen the philosopher?

She felt under the bed with one hand. Yes--there lay the letter that had come during the night. It wasn't only a dream.

She had definitely seen the philosopher! And what's more, with her own eyes she had seen him take her letter!

She crouched down on the floor and pulled out all the typewritten pages from under the bed. But what was that? Right by the wall there was something red. A scarf, perhaps?

Sophie edged herself in under the bed and pulled out a red silk scarf. It wasn't hers, that was for sure!

She examined it more closely and gasped when she saw HILDE written in ink along the seam.

Hilde! But who was Hilde? How could their paths keep crossing like this?
 楼主| 发表于 2019-1-17 12:51:09 | 只看该作者
……算命者试图预测某些事实上
极不可测的事物……   
苏菲刚才读着德谟克里特斯的理论时,已经留神查看过信箱附近的动静。不过为了保险起见,她决定还是走到花园门口去看看。
当她打开前门时,看到门前的阶梯上放着一个小信封。不用说,是写给苏菲的。
这么说,他已经知道了。今天她特地留意信箱附近的动静,但这个神秘客却悄悄从另外一个角度溜到屋前,把信放在台阶上,然后又匆匆躲进树林中。真是的!
他怎么知道苏菲今天会注意观察信箱?也许他看到她站在窗口了?无论如何,苏菲还是很高兴能在妈妈回家前拿到这封信。
苏菲回到房里,打开信。信封的边缘有一点潮湿,并且有两个小洞。为何会这样呢?有好几天都没有下雨了呀!
信封里的纸条写着:
你相信命运吗?
疾病是诸神对人类的惩罚吗?
是什么力量影响历史的走向?
她相信命运吗?她可不敢说,不过她知道有很多人相信。她班上有一个女生常常看杂志上的星座栏。如果人们相信占星术,他们大概也相信命运,因为占星学家宣称星座的位置会影响地球人类的生活。
如果你相信在路上遇见黑猫表示运气不好,那么就表示你相信命运,是不是?她思考这个问题时,想到另外几个宿命论的例子。
举例来说,为什么那么多人会在自夸或谈论好运时,敲一敲木头做的东西以避免带来厄运呢?为什么十三号星期五不吉利?苏菲听说有很多旅馆没有第十三号房。这一定是因为有很多人迷信的缘故。
“迷信”,多么奇怪的一个名词。如果你信基督教或伊斯兰教,这就叫“信仰”,但如果你相信占星术或十三号星期五不吉利,就是迷信]谁有权利说别人相信的东西就是“迷信”呢?
不过,苏菲倒可以肯定的一件事:德谟克里特斯并不相信命运,他是个唯物论者,他只相信原子与虚空。
苏菲又试着思索纸条上的其他问题。
“疾病是诸神对人类的惩罚吗?”今天一定不会有人相信这种说法吧?不过她又想到很多人认为祈祷会帮助疾病痊愈。所以无论如何,他们一定相信上帝有某种力量可以左右哪些人生病、哪些人痊愈。
至于最后一个问题就更难回答了。苏菲以前从未深思过什么力量会影响历史走向的问题。一定是人类吧?如果是上帝或命运的话,那人类就没有自由意志了。
自由意志这个观念使苏菲想到别的东西。她为什么要忍受这个神秘的哲学家跟她玩捉迷藏的游戏呢?她为什么不写一封信给他呢?他(或她)非常可能又会在晚上或明天早晨在信箱里放一个大信封。到时她要写好一封信给这个人。
苏菲立刻下楼。她心想,要写信给一位她从未见过的人可真难呀!她连那人是男是女都不知道呢!也不知道他(她)是老是少。
讲到这点,说不定这位神秘的哲学家还是她认识的人呢!
很快的,她已经写好了一封短信。
可敬的哲学家:
我很欣赏您所函授的哲学课程,但对于不知您的身分一事甚感困扰。因此请求您具上全名。为了回报,欢迎您前来寒舍小坐并共进咖啡,不过最好利用我母亲不在家时。她的上班时间为周一到周五每天上午七点半到下午五点。同一段时间我也在校上课,但除周四之外,总是在下午两点十五分回到家门。还有,我很擅于煮咖啡,
在此先谢谢您。
学生 苏菲(十四岁)敬上
在信纸的最下面,她写上“烦请回函”这几个字。
苏菲觉得这封信写得太正式了。不过当你写给一个从未谋面的人时,很难决定要使用什么样的字眼。
她把信放在一个粉红色的信封里,并塞进去。信封上写着:“哲学家启”。
问题是:她应该把信放在哪里才不会被妈妈看到呢?她得等到妈妈回家后才能把它放在信箱里。还有,她也必须记得在第二天清晨报纸送来前,查看信箱。如果今天傍晚或深夜她没有收到新的信,她就得把那封粉红色的信拿回来。
事情为什么一定要弄得这么复杂呢?
那天晚上,虽然是星期五,苏菲还是早早就回房。妈妈拿意大利脆饼和电视恐怖剧引诱她留下来,但苏菲说累了,想上床看书。
趁妈妈坐在那儿看电视时,她偷偷拿了信溜到信箱那儿。
妈妈显然很担心她。自从苏菲上次讲过白兔与帽子的事后,妈妈对苏菲讲话的语气都不一样了。苏菲不想让妈妈担心,但她必须上楼观察信箱旁边的动静。
十一点钟左右,妈妈上楼来时,苏菲正坐在窗子旁,看着下面那条路。 ·
妈妈说:“你可不是坐在这儿盯着信箱看吧?”
“我高兴!”
“我看你一定是谈恋爱了,苏菲。可是就算他会再送信来,也不会挑三更半夜呀!”
真讨厌,干嘛老讲这些肉麻的事情?不过苏菲只好让妈妈继续这样想了。
妈妈又说:“他就是告诉你兔子与帽子那些事的人吗?”
苏菲点点头。
“他——他没有喝药吧?”
现在苏菲真是替妈妈感到难过了。她不能继续让她这样担心下去。虽说妈妈只要听到谁有一些古怪念头,就认为他有喝药的嫌疑,那也是够神经了。大人有时还真白痴呢!
她转身看着妈妈,说:“妈妈,我答应你永远不会做那类的事情……‘他’也不会。不过他对哲学非常有兴趣。”
“他年纪比你大吗?”
苏菲摇摇头。
“跟你同年?”
苏菲点点头。
“嗯,我相信他一定很可爱。现在你应该睡觉了吧?”
不过苏菲还是继续坐在窗边。时间好像过了好几小时,最后她的眼睛实在睁不开了,已经是半夜一点了。
她正要上床时,突然看到有一个影子从树林中闪出来。
虽然外头很黑,但苏菲还是看得出来那是个人,而且是个男人。苏菲心想他看来年纪颇大的,一定不是跟她同年。他头上好像戴着一顶扁帽。
她发誓他曾经向楼上望了一眼,不过苏菲房间的灯没开。那个男人一直走到信箱旁,将一个大信封丢进里面。这时他突然看到苏菲写的信,他把手伸进信箱,把信拿出来,然后便快步走回树林,沿着树林中的小径慢跑,然后就消失不见了。
苏菲觉得自己的心“咚!咚!地跳。她的第一个直觉反应是想穿着睡衣出去追他,但她又不敢半夜去追一个陌生人。不过她显然必须出去拿那封信。
一两分钟后,她蹑手蹑脚地走下楼梯,悄悄打开前门,跑到信箱那儿。一转眼她已经回房,手中拿着那封信。她坐在床上,屏声静气。直到几分钟后屋里仍然静悄悄时,她才打开信封,开始看信。
她知道这封信不是针对她那封信的回函。那封信要明天才会到。

命运

早安,亲爱的苏菲。为了避免你产生任何念头,我先声明:你绝对不可以探查我的身分。有一天我们会见面的,不过要让我来决定时间和地点。就这样说定了,你不会不听话吧?
现在让我们再谈那些哲学家的理论吧。我们已经看到他们如何试图为大自然的变化寻求自然的解释。在过去,这些现象都是透过神话来解释的。
然而,其他方面的古老迷信也必须加以破除。我们将谈到他们如何思考疾病与健康以及政治问题。在这些方面,希腊人非常相信宿命论。
宿命论的意思就是相信所有发生的事都是命中注定的。我们可以发现这种思想遍布全世界,不仅古人这样想,现代人也一样。
北欧这里的人同样非常相信命运,相信冰岛诗集中的各种神话与传说。
我们也可以发现,无论是在古希腊或其他地方,人们都相信他们可以借由神谕来得知自己的命运。换句话说,他们相信一个人或一个国家的命运可以用一些方式预算出来。
现代仍有许多人相信纸牌算命、看手相或观察星座以预知未来等。挪威人有一个用咖啡杯来算命的特别方法。当咖啡喝完后,杯底通常会有一些咖啡粉的残渣。这些渣子可能会形成某种图案 ——如果我们运用我们天马行空的想象力的话。假使杯底的渣子看来像是一辆车子,那也许就表示喝这杯咖啡的人将驾车远行。
就这样,“算命仙”试图预测一些非常不可能预测的事情,这是所有预言共同的特征。而正因算命仙所“看”到的是如此模糊,你很难去驳斥他的话。
当我们抬头看着天上的星星时,我们只能看到许多呈不规则分布状的闪亮小点。尽管如此,千百年来仍有不少人相信可以从星星里看出人类的命运。即使在今天,仍有一些政治领袖在做重要决策前会征求占星学家的意见。 

戴尔菲的神论   

古代希腊人相信人们可以透过著名的戴尔菲(Delphi)神论知道自己的命运。负责神论的神是阿波罗。他透过他的女祭司琵西雅(Pythia)发言。琵西雅坐在土地裂缝上方的一张凳子上,裂缝中会冒出一股催眠般的蒸气,使她进入恍惚的状态,而成为阿波罗的代言人。
人们来到戴尔菲后,必须将他们的问题呈现给负责神论的祭司,再由祭司将问题转达给琵西雅。而她的回答往往含糊不清、模棱两可,因此必须由祭司加以解释。人们就如此这般得着了阿波罗智慧的恩赐,并相信他无所不知,甚至可以预见未来。
当时,有许多国家元首要等到求教于戴尔菲的神谕后,才敢打仗或采取一些决定性的步骤。因此阿波罗的祭司们或多或少具有一些外交家的功能,也可以说他们是熟悉人民与国家事务的顾问。
在戴尔菲神庙的入口处上方有一行著名的铭文:“了解自己!”
意思是人类绝不可自以为不朽,同时也没有人可以逃避命运。
希腊有许多故事叙述人们如何逃不过命运的捉弄。久而久之,这些“可怜”人物的故事被写成若干出悲剧。其中最有名的一出是有关伊迪帕斯国王的悲惨故事。

历史与医学

古希腊人相信命运不仅操纵个人的生活,也左右世界的历史。
他们并且相信战争的结局可能因诸神的介入而改变。同样的,在我们这个时代,也有许多人相信上帝或某种神秘的力量会影响历史的走向。
然而,就在希腊哲学家努力为大自然的变化寻求符合自然的解释时,历史上最早的一批历史学家也开始为历史事件寻求合理的解释。他们不再认为一个国家之所以打败仗是因为神向他们报复。最著名的两位希腊历史学家是贺若多陀斯(Herodotus,公元前四八四年~公元前四二四年)与修西德底斯(Thucydides,公元前四六O~公元前四OO年)。
古希腊人相信疾病可能是神降的灾祸,也相信只要人以适当的方式向神献祭,神就可能使生病的人痊愈。
这个观念并非希腊人独有。在现代医学发达以前,人们普遍认为疾病是由某些超自然的原因所造成。英文influenza(流行性感冒)一词实际上的意思是“受到星星的不良影响”。
即使是在今天,仍有很多人相信某些疾病——如艾滋病——是上帝对人类的惩罚,也有许多人相信可以用超自然的力量痊愈。
在希腊哲学朝新方向迈进之际,希腊的医学也开始兴起。这种学问的目的是为疾病与健康寻求合乎自然的解释。据说希腊医学的始祖是大约公元前四六O年时,在寇斯岛诞生的希波克拉底(H中pOcrates)。
根据希波克拉底派的医学传统,要预防疾病,最重要的就是饮食起居要节制,同时要有健康的生活方式。他们认为健康是人的自然状态。人之所以生病,是因为身体或心灵不平衡,因而使大自然“出轨”所致。保持健康的方法就是节制饮食、保持和谐,并拥有“健康的身体与健康的心灵”。
现代人常常谈到“医学伦理”,也就是说医生为人治病时必须遵守若干伦理规范,例如不能开麻醉药品的处方给健康人,同时必须保守职业上的秘密,也就是说,不可以泄漏病人的病情。这些概念都是希波克拉底提出来的。他要求他的学生宣读下列的誓言:
我将依照自身的能力与判断,采用对病人有利的疗法与处方,绝不施以有害或有毒之物。无论应何人之请,我也绝不给予致命药物或做此类之建议,也绝不协助妇女堕胎。进入病家访视时,我将以病人的福祉为念,不做任何贪渎害人之事,不受男女奴仆之引诱。我在执业时之所见所闻,凡不应泄漏者,我将严予保密。若我遵行此一誓言,不懈不怠,愿上苍使我乐享生命、精进医事并受世人敬重。若我违反誓言,愿我遭相反之命运。
星期六早上,苏菲醒来时从床上跳了起来。她是在作梦还是她真的见到了那位哲学家?
她用一只手摸了摸床底下,没错,昨晚收到的信还在那里。不是梦。
她准是见到那个哲学家了。更重要的是,她亲眼看到他拿走了她写的信。
她蹲在地板上,把所有的信都从床底下拉出来,咦,那是什么?
就在墙边,有一样红色的东西,好像是一条围巾吧?
苏菲钻到床底下,拉出一条红色的丝巾。她肯定这不是她的。
她仔细加以检查。当她看到丝巾的线缝旁有墨水写的“席德”字样时,不禁目瞪口呆。
席德!谁又是这个席德呢?她们走的路怎么会如此交错不已呢?
 楼主| 发表于 2019-1-18 11:23:28 | 只看该作者
Socrates

wisest is she who knows she does not know

Sophie put on a summer dress and hurried down to the kitchen. Her mother was standing by the kitchen table. Sophie decided not to say anything about the silk scarf.

"Did you bring in the newspaper?" she asked.

Her mother turned.

"Would you get it for me?"

Sophie was out of the door in a flash, down the gravel path to the mailbox.

Only the newspaper. She couldn't expect an answer so soon, she supposed. On the front page of the paper she read something about the Norwegian UN battalion in Lebanon.

The UN battalion ... wasn't that the postmark on the card from Hilde's father? But the postage stamp had been Norwegian. Maybe the Norwegian UN soldiers had their own post office with them.

"You've become very interested in the newspaper," said her mother drily when Sophie returned to the kitchen.

Luckily her mother said no more about mailboxes and stuff, either during breakfast or later on that day. When she went shopping, Sophie took her letter about Fate down to the den.

She was surprised to see a little white envelope beside the cookie tin with the other letters from the philosopher. Sophie was quite sure she had not put it there.

This envelope was also wet around the edges. And it had a couple of deep holes in it, just like the one she had received yesterday.

Had the philosopher been here? Did he know about her secret hiding place? Why was the envelope wet?

All these questions made her head spin. She opened the letter and read the note:

Dear Sophie, I read your letter with great interest-- and not without some regret. I must unfortunately disappoint you with regard to the invitation. We shall meet one day, but it will probably be quite a while before I can come in person to Captain's Bend.

I must add that from now on I will no longer be able to deliver the letters personally. It would be much too risky in the long run. In the future, letters will be delivered by my little messenger. On the other hand, they will be brought directly to the secret place in the garden.

You may continue to contact me whenever you feel the need. When you do, put a pink envelope out with a cookie or a lump of sugar in it. When the messenger finds it, he will bring it straight to me.

P.S. It is not pleasant to decline a young lady's invitation to coffee, but sometimes it is a matter of necessity.

P.P.S. If you should come across a red silk scarf anywhere, please take care of it. Sometimes personal property gets mixed up. Especially at school and places like that, and this is a philosophy school.

Yours, Alberto Knox

Sophie had lived for almost fifteen years, and had received quite a lot of letters in her young life, at least at Christmas and on birthdays. But this letter was the strangest one she had ever received.

It had no postage stamp. It hadn't even been put in the mailbox. It had been brought straight to Sophie's top-secret hideout in the old hedge. The fact that it was wet in the dry spring weather was also most mystifying.

The strangest thing of all was the silk scarf, of course. The philosopher must have another pupil. That was it. And this other pupil had lost a red silk scarf. Right. But how had she managed to lose it under Sophie's bed?

And Alberto Knox  what kind of a name was that?

One thing was confirmed--the connection between the philosopher and Hilde Moller Knag. But that Hilde's own father was now confusing their addresses--that was completely incomprehensible.

Sophie sat for a long time thinking about what connection there could possibly be between Hilde and herself. Finally she gave up. The philosopher had written that she would meet him one day. Perhaps she would meet Hilde too.

She turned the letter over. She now saw that there were some sentences written on the back as well:

Is there such a thing as natural modesty?

Wisest is she who knows she does not know...

True insight comes from within.

He who knows what is right will do right.

Sophie knew that the short sentences that came in the white envelopes were intended to prepare her for the next big envelope, which would arrive shortly thereafter. She suddenly had an idea. If the "messenger" came to the den to deliver a brown envelope, Sophie could simply sit and wait for him. Or was it a her? She would definitely hang on to whoever it was until he or she told her more about the philosopher! The letter said that the "messenger" was little. Could it be a child? "Is there such a thing as natural modesty?" Sophie knew that "modesty" was an old-fashioned word for shyness--for example, about being seen naked. But was it really natural to be embarrassed about that? If something was natural, she supposed, it was the same for everybody. In many parts of the world it was completely natural to be naked. So it must be society that decides what you can and can't do. When Grandma was young you certainly couldn't sunbathe topless. But today, most people think it is "natural," even though it is still strictly forbidden in lots of countries. Was this philosophy? Sophie wondered.

The next sentence was: "Wisest is she who knows she does not know."

Wiser than who? If the philosopher meant that someone who realized that she didn't know everything under the sun was wiser than someone who knew just a little, but who thought she knew a whole lot--well, that wasn't so difficult to agree with. Sophie had never thought about it before. But the more she did, the more clearly she saw that knowing what you don't know is also a kind of knowledge. The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about things they knew absolutely nothing about.

The next sentence was about true insight coming from within. But didn't all knowledge come into people's heads from the outside? On the other hand, Sophie could remember situations when her mother or the teachers at school had tried to teach her something that she hadn't been receptive to. And whenever she had really learned something, it was when she had somehow contributed to it herself. Now and then, even, she would suddenly understand a thing she'd drawn a total blank on before. That was probably what people meant by "insight."

So far, so good. Sophie thought she had done reasonably well on the first three questions. But the next statement was so odd she couldn't help smiling: "He who knows what is right will do right."

Did that mean that when a bank robber robbed a bank it was because he didn't know any better? Sophie didn't think so.

On the contrary, she thought that both children and adults did stupid things that they probably regretted afterwards, precisely because they had done them against their better judgment.

While she sat thinking, she heard something rustling in the dry undergrowth on the other side of the hedge nearest the woods. Could it be the messenger? Her heart started beating faster. It sounded like a panting animal was coming.

The next moment a big Labrador pushed its way into the den.

In its mouth it held a big brown envelope which it dropped at Sophie's feet. It all happened so quickly that Sophie had no time to react. A second later she was sitting with the big envelope in her hands--and the golden Labrador had scampered off into the woods again.

Once it was all over she reacted. She started to cry.

She sat like that for a while, losing all sense of time.

Then she looked up suddenly.

So that was his famous messenger! Sophie breathed a sigh of relief. Of course that was why the white envelopes were wet around the edges and had holes in them. Why hadn't she thought of it? Now it made sense to put a cookie or a lump of sugar in the envelope when she wrote to the philosopher.

She may not always have been as smart as she would like, but who could have guessed that the messenger was a trained dog! It was a bit out of the ordinary, to put it mildly! She could certainly forget all about forcing the messenger to reveal Alberto Knox's whereabouts.

Sophie opened the big envelope and began to read.

THE PHILOSOPHY OF ATHENS

Dear Sophie, When you read this you may already have met Hermes. In case you haven't, I'll add that he is a dog. But don't worry. He is very good-tempered--and moreover, a good deal more intelligent than a lot of people. In any event he never tries to give the impression of being cleverer than he is.

You may also note that his name is not without significance.

In Greek mythology, Hermes was the messenger of the gods. He was also the god of seafarers, but we shall not bother about that, at least not for the moment. It is more important that Hermes also gave his name to the word "hermetic," which means hidden or inaccessible--not inappropriate for the way Hermes takes care to keep the two of us hidden from each other.

So the messenger has herewith been introduced. Naturally he answers to his name and is altogether very well behaved.

But to return to philosophy. We have already completed the first part of the course. I refer to the natural philosophers and their decisive break with the mytholog-ical world picture. Now we are going to meet the three great classical philosophers, Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. Each in his own way, these philosophers influenced the whole of European civilization.

The natural philosophers are also called the pre-Socratics, because they lived before Socrates. Although Democritus died some years after Socrates, all his ideas belong to pre-Socratic natural philosophy. Socrates represents a new era, geographically as well as temporally. He was the first of the great philosophers to be born in Athens, and both he and his two successors lived and worked there. You may recall that Anaxagoras also lived in Athens for a while but was hounded out because he said the sun was a red-hot stone. (Socrates fared no better!)

From the time of Socrates, Athens was the center of Greek culture. It is also important to note the change of character in the philosophical project itself as it pro-gresses from natural philosophy to Socrates. But before we meet Socrates, let us hear a little about the so-called Sophists, who dominated the Athenian scene at the time of Socrates.

Curtain up, Sophie! The history of ideas is like a drama in many acts.

Man at the CenterAfter about 450 B.C., Athens was the cultural center of the Greek world. From this time on, philosophy took a new direction. The natural philosophers had been mainly concerned with the nature of the physical world. This gives them a central position in the history of science. In Athens, interest was now focused on the individual and the individual's place in society. Gradually a democracy evolved, with popular assemblies and courts of law.

In order for democracy to work, people had to be educated enough to take part in the democratic process. We have seen in our own time how a young democracy needs popular enlightenment. For the Athenians, it was first and foremost essential to master the art of rhetoric, which means saying things in a convincing manner.

A group of itinerant teachers and philosophers from the Greek colonies flocked to Athens. They called themselves Sophists. The word "sophist" means a wise and informed person. In Athens, the Sophists made a living out of teaching the citizens for money.

The Sophists had one characteristic in common with the natural philosophers: they were critical of the traditional mythology. But at the same time the Sophists rejected what they regarded as fruitless philosophical speculation. Their opinion was that although answers to philosophical questions may exist, man cannot know the truth about the riddles of nature and of the universe. In philosophy a view like this is called skepticism.

But even if we cannot know the answers to all of nature's riddles, we know that people have to learn to live together. The Sophists chose to concern themselves with man and his place in society.

"Man is the measure of all things," said the Sophist Protagoras (c. 485-410 B.C.). By that he meant that the question of whether a thing is right or wrong, good or bad, must always be considered in relation to a person's needs. On being asked whether he believed in the Greek gods, he answered, "The question is complex and life is short." A person who is unable to say categorically whether or not the gods or God exists is called an agnostic.

The Sophists were as a rule men who had traveled widely and seen different forms of government. Both conventions and local laws in the city-states could vary widely. This led the Sophists to raise the question of what was natural and what was socially induced. By doing this, they paved the way for social criticism in the city-state of Athens.

They could for example point out that the use of an expression like "natural modesty" is not always defensible, for if it is "natural" to be modest, it must be something you are born with, something innate. But is it really innate, Sophie--or is it socially induced? To someone who has traveled the world, the answer should be simple: It is not "natural"--or innate--to be afraid to show yourself naked. Modesty--or the lack of it--is first and foremost a matter of social convention.

As you can imagine, the wandering Sophists created bitter wrangling in Athens by pointing out that there were no absolute norms for what was right or wrong.

Socrates, on the other hand, tried to show that some such norms are in fact absolute and universally valid.

Who Was Socrates?

Socrates (470-399 B.C.) is possibly the most enigmatic figure in the entire history of philosophy. He never wrote a single line. Yet he is one of the philosophers who has had the greatest influence on European thought, not least because of the dramatic manner of his death.

We know he was born in Athens, and that he spent most of his life in the city squares and marketplaces talking with the people he met there. "The trees in the countryside can teach me nothing," he said. He could also stand lost in thought for hours on end.

Even during his lifetime he was considered somewhat enigmatic, and fairly soon after his death he was held to be the founder of any number of different philosophical schools of thought. The very fact that he was so enigmatic and ambiguous made it possible for widely differing schools of thought to claim him as their own.

We know for a certainty that he was extremely ugly. He was potbellied, and had bulging eyes and a snub nose. But inside he was said to be "perfectly delightful." It was also said of him that "You can seek him in the present, you can seek him in the past, but you will never find his equal." Nevertheless he was sentenced to death for his philosophical activities.

The life of Socrates is mainly known to us through the writings of Plato, who was one of his pupils and who became one of the greatest philosophers of all time. Plato wrote a number of Dialogues, or dramatized discussions on philosophy, in which he uses Socrates as his principal character and mouthpiece.

Since Plato is putting his own philosophy in Socrates' mouth, we cannot be sure that the words he speaks in the dialogues were ever actually uttered by him. So it is no easy matter to distinguish between the teachings of Socrates and the philosophy of Plato. Exactly the same problem applies to many other historical persons who left no written accounts. The classic example, of course, is Jesus. We cannot be certain that the "historical" Jesus actually spoke the words that Matthew or Luke ascribed to him. Similarly, what the "historical" Socrates actually said will always be shrouded in mystery.

But who Socrates "really" was is relatively unimportant. It is Plato's portrait of Socrates that has inspired thinkers in the Western world for nearly 2,500 years.

The Art of Discourse

The essential nature of Socrates' art lay in the fact that he did not appear to want to instruct people. On the contrary he gave the impression of one desiring to learn from those he spoke with. So instead of lecturing like a traditional schoolmaster, he discussed.

Obviously he would not have become a famous philosopher had he confined himself purely to listening to others. Nor would he have been sentenced to death. But he just asked questions, especially to begin a conversation, as if he knew nothing. In the course of the discussion he would generally get his opponents to recognize the weakness of their arguments, and, forced into a corner, they would finally be obliged to realize what was right and what was wrong.

Socrates, whose mother was a midwife, used to say that his art was like the art of the midwife. She does not herself give birth to the child, but she is there to help during its delivery. Similarly, Socrates saw his task as helping people to "give birth" to the correct insight, since real understanding must come from within. It cannot be imparted by someone else. And only the understanding that comes from within can lead to true insight.

Let me put it more precisely: The ability to give birth is a natural characteristic. In the same way, everybody can grasp philosophical truths if they just use their innate reason. Using your innate reason means reaching down inside yourself and using what is there.

By playing ignorant, Socrates forced the people he met to use their common sense. Socrates could feign ignorance--or pretend to be dumber than he was. We call this Socratic irony. This enabled him to continually expose the weaknesses in people's thinking. He was not averse to doing this in the middle of the city square. If you met Socrates, you thus might end up being made a fool of publicly.

So it is not surprising that, as time went by, people found him increasingly exasperating, especially people who had status in the community. "Athens is like a sluggish horse," he is reputed to have said, "and I am the gadfly trying to sting it into life."

(What do we do with gadflies, Sophie?)

A Divine Voice

It was not in order to torment his fellow beings that Socrates kept on stinging them. Something within him left him no choice. He always said that he had a "divine voice" inside him. Socrates protested, for example, against having any part in condemning people to death. He moreover refused to inform on his political enemies. This was eventually to cost him his life.

In the year 399 B.C. he was accused of "introducing new gods and corrupting the youth," as well as not believing in the accepted gods. With a slender majority, a jury of five hundred found him guilty.

He could very likely have appealed for leniency. At least he could have saved his life by agreeing to leave Athens. But had he done this he would not have been Socrates. He valued his conscience--and the truth-- higher than life. He assured the jury that he had only acted in the best interests of the state. He was nevertheless condemned to drink hemlock. Shortly thereafter, he drank the poison in the presence of his friends, and died.

Why, Sophie? Why did Socrates have to die? People have been asking this question for 2,400 years. However, he was not the only person in history to have seen things through to the bitter end and suffered death for the sake of their convictions.

I have mentioned Jesus already, and in fact there are several striking parallels between them.

Both Jesus and Socrates were enigmatic personalities, also to their contemporaries. Neither of them wrote down their teachings, so we are forced to rely on the picture we have of them from their disciples. But we do know that they were both masters of the art of discourse. They both spoke with a characteristic self-assuredness that could fascinate as well as exasperate. And not least, they both believed that they spoke on behalf of something greater than themselves. They challenged the power of the community by criticizing all forms of injustice and corruption. And finally--their activities cost them their lives.

The trials of Jesus and Socrates also exhibit clear parallels.

They could certainly both have saved themselves by appealing for mercy, but they both felt they had a mission that would have been betrayed unless they kept faith to the bitter end. And by meeting their death so bravely they commanded an enormous following, also after they had died.

I do not mean to suggest that Jesus and Socrates were alike. I am merely drawing attention to the fact that they both had a message that was inseparably linked to their personal courage.

A Joker in Athens

Socrates, Sophie! We aren't done with him yet. We have talked about his method. But what was his philosophical project?

Socrates lived at the same time as the Sophists. Like them, he was more concerned with man and his place in society than with the forces of nature. As a Roman philosopher, Cicero, said of him a few hundred years later, Socrates "called philosophy down from the sky and established her in the towns and introduced her into homes and forced her to investigate life, ethics, good and evil."

But Socrates differed from the Sophists in one significant way. He did not consider himself to be a "sophist"--that is, a learned or wise person. Unlike the Sophists, he did not teach for money. No, Socrates called himself a philosopher in the true sense of the word. A "philosopher" really means "one who loves wisdom."

Are you sitting comfortably, Sophie? Because it is central to the rest of this course that you fully understand the difference between a sophist and a philosopher. The Sophists took money for their more or less hairsplitting expoundings, and sophists of this kind have come and gone from time immemorial. I am referring to all the schoolmasters and self-opinionated know-it-alls who are satisfied with what little they know, or who boast of knowing a whole lot about subjects they haven't the faintest notion of. You have probably come across a few of these sophists in your young life. A real philosopher, Sophie, is a completely different kettle of fish--the direct opposite, in fact. A philosopher knows that in reality he knows very little. That is why he constantly strives to achieve true insight. Socrates was one of these rare people. He knew that he knew nothing about life and about the world. And now comes the important part: it troubled him that he knew so little.

A philosopher is therefore someone who recognizes that there is a lot he does not understand, and is troubled by it. In that sense, he is still wiser than all those who brag about their knowledge of things they know nothing about. "Wisest is she who knows she does not know," I said previously. Socrates himself said, "One thing only I know, and that is that I know nothing."

Remember this statement, because it is an admission that is rare, even among philosophers. Moreover, it can be so dangerous to say it in public that it can cost you your life. The most subversive people are those who ask questions. Giving answers is not nearly as threatening. Any one question can be more explosive than a thousand answers.

You remember the story of the emperor's new clothes? The emperor was actually stark naked but none of his subjects dared say so. Suddenly a child burst out, "But he's got nothing on!" That was a courageous child, Sophie. Like Socrates, who dared tell people how little we humans know. The similarity between children and philosophers is something we have already talked about.

To be precise: Mankind is faced with a number of difficult questions that we have no satisfactory answers to. So now two possibilities present themselves: We can either fool ourselves and the rest of the world by pretending that we know all there is to know, or we can shut our eyes to the central issues once and for all and abandon all progress. In this sense, humanity is divided. People are, generally speaking, either dead certain or totally indifferent. (Both types are crawling around deep down in the rabbit's fur!)

It is like dividing a deck of cards into two piles, Sophie. You lay the black cards in one pile and the red in the other. But from time to time a joker turns up that is neither heart nor club, neither diamond nor spade. Socrates was this joker in Athens. He was neither certain nor indifferent. All he knew was that he knew nothing--and it troubled him. So he became a philosopher--someone who does not give up but tirelessly pursues his quest for truth.

An Athenian is said to have asked the oracle at Delphi who the wisest man in Athens was. The oracle answered that Socrates of all mortals was the wisest. When Socrates heard this he was astounded, to put it mildly. (He must have laughed, Sophie!) He went straight to the person in the city whom he, and everyone else, thought was excessively wise. But when it turned out that this person was unable to give Socrates satisfactory answers to his questions, Socrates realized that the oracle had been right.

Socrates felt that it was necessary to establish a solid foundation for our knowledge. He believed that this foundation lay in man's reason. With his unshakable faith in human reason he was decidedly a rationalist.

The Right Insight Leads to the Right Action

As I have mentioned earlier, Socrates claimed that he was guided by a divine inner voice, and that this "conscience" told him what was right. "He who knows what good is will do good," he said.

By this he meant that the right insight leads to the right action. And only he who does right can be a "virtuous man." When we do wrong it is because we don't know any better. That is why it is so important to go on learning. Socrates was concerned with finding clear and universally valid definitions of right and wrong. Unlike the Sophists, he believed that the ability to distinguish between right and wrong lies in people's reason and not in society.

You may perhaps think this last part is a bit too obscure, Sophie. Let me put it like this: Socrates thought that no one could possibly be happy if they acted against their better judgment. And he who knows how to achieve happiness will do so. Therefore, he who knows what is right will do right. Because why would anybody choose to be unhappy?

What do you think, Sophie? Can you live a happy life if you continually do things you know deep down are wrong? There are lots of people who lie and cheat and speak ill of others. Are they aware that these things are not right--or fair, if you prefer? Do you think these people are happy?

Socrates didn't.

When Sophie had read the letter, she quickly put it in the cookie tin and crawled out into the garden. She wanted to go indoors before her mother got back with the shopping in order to avoid any questions about where she had been. And she had promised to do the dishes.

She had just filled the sink with water when her mother came staggering in with two huge shopping bags. Perhaps that was why her mother said, "You are rather preoccupied these days, Sophie."

Sophie didn't know why she said it; the words just tumbled out of her mouth: "So was Socrates."

"Socrates?"

Her mother stared at her, wide-eyed.

"It was just so sad that he had to die as a result," Sophie went on thoughtfully.

"My goodness! Sophie! I don't know what I'm to do!"

"Neither did Socrates. All he knew was that he knew nothing. And yet he was the cleverest person in Athens."

Her mother was speechless.

Finally she said, "Is this something you've learned at school?"

Sophie shook her head energetically.

"We don't learn anything there. The difference between schoolteachers and philosophers is that school-teachers think they know a lot of stuff that they try to force down our throats. Philosophers try to figure things out together with the pupils."

"Now we're back to white rabbits again! You know something? I demand to know who your boyfriend really is. Otherwise I'll begin to think he is a bit disturbed."

Sophie turned her back on the dishes and pointed at her mother with the dish mop.

"It's not him who's disturbed. But he likes to disturb others--to shake them out of their rut."

"That's enough of that! I think he sounds a bit too impertinent." Sophie turned back to the dishes.

"He is neither impertinent nor pertinent," said Sophie. "But he is trying to reach real wisdom. That's the great difference between a real joker and all the other cards in the deck."

"Did you say joker?"

Sophie nodded. "Have you ever thought about the fact that there are a lot of hearts and diamonds in a pack of cards? And a lot of spades and clubs. But there's only one joker."

"Good grief, how you talk back, Sophie!"

"And how you ask!"

Her mother had put all the groceries away. Now she took the newspaper and went into the living room. Sophie thought she closed the door more loudly than usual.

Sophie finished doing the dishes and went upstairs to her room. She had put the red silk scarf on the top shelf of the closet with the Lego blocks. She took it down and examined it carefully.

Hilde ...
 楼主| 发表于 2019-1-18 11:24:49 | 只看该作者
苏格拉底

……最聪明的是明白自己无知的人……
苏菲穿上一件夏衣,匆匆下楼走进厨房。妈妈正站在桌子旁边。苏菲决定不提任何有关丝巾的事。
她脱口而出:“你去拿报纸了吗?”
妈妈转过身来。
“你去帮我拿好吗?”
苏菲飞也似地出了门,从石子路走到信箱旁。
信箱里只有报纸。她想他大概不会这么快回信吧。在报纸的头版,她看到有关挪威联合国部队在黎巴嫩的消息。
联合国部队。。。这不是席德的父亲寄来的卡片邮戳上盖的字样吗?但信上贴的却是挪威的邮票。也许挪威联合国部队的士兵拥有自己的邮局。
苏菲回到厨房时,妈妈声音干涩地说:“你现在对报纸好像很有兴趣。”
幸好当天吃早餐时及早餐过后,妈妈都没有再提到有关信箱的事情。当妈妈出去买东西时,苏菲将那封关于命运的信拿到密洞去。
当她看到她存放哲学家来信的饼干盒旁边放着一个白色的小信封时,不禁吓了一跳。她很肯定不是她放的。
这封信的边缘同样有点潮湿,此外信封上还有两三个很深的洞,就像她昨天收到的那封一样。
难道哲学家来过了吗?他知道她的密洞吗?这封信为什么湿湿的?这些问题把她弄得头昏脑胀。她打开信封来看:
亲爱的苏菲:
我读你的信读得津津有味,不过却有些后悔。遗憾的是,有关共进咖啡的事,我恐怕要让你失望了。总有一天我们会见面的,但可能要等很久我才能亲自到船长弯来。
我必须加上一点,从今以后,我将不能亲自送信了。因为长此下去,风险太大。以后这些信将由我的小小使者送来,同时将会直接送到花园的密洞中。
有必要时,你可以再和我联络。当你想这样做时,请把一块饼干或糖放在一个粉红色的信封里。我的使者拿到后,会直接送来给我。
P.S:拒绝一个小淑女共进咖啡的邀请并不是一件令人很愉快的事,但有时我不得不这样做。
又,如果你在某处看到一条红色的丝巾,请加以保管。那样的东西常常会被人拿错,尤其是在学校等地,而我们这儿又是一所哲学学校。
艾伯特敬上
苏菲今年十四岁。这十四年间她曾接过许多的信,尤其是在圣诞节以及她的生日时。但这封信恐怕是其中最奇怪的一封了。
信上没贴邮票,甚至也不曾放进信箱中,而是直接送到苏菲在老树篱中最秘密藏身之处的。还有,在这样一个干爽的春日里,这封信何以会弄湿,也很令人费解。
当然,最奇怪的还是有关那条丝巾的事。这位哲学家一定还有另外一个学生,而这个学生掉了一条红色的丝巾,一定是这样。不过她怎么会把它掉在苏菲的床底下呢?
还有,艾伯特是一个名字吗?
不过有一件事是可以肯定的;这位哲学家与席德之间有某种关系,不过席德的父亲却把她们两人的地址搞错了,这实在是令人难以理解的事。
苏菲坐了很久,想着席德和她之间到底有什么关系。最后,她叹了口气,决定放弃。哲学家曾经说过有一天他会跟她见面。也许她也会见到席德。
她把信纸翻过来,发现背后也写了几行字:
是否有人天生就很害羞呢?
最聪明的是明白自己无知的人。
真正的智慧来自内心。
明辨是非者必能进退合宜。
苏菲已经知道白信封内的这些短句是哲学家给她的功课,目的要让她做好准备,以便阅读不久后会送来的大信封。这时她突然想起了一件事。如果那位“使者”会把棕色的大信封送到密洞这儿来,她大可以坐在这里等他。(也许是“她”?)她一定会缠着那人,要 他(或她)透露哲学家的一些底细。信上说,这个使者很小。会是个孩子吗?
“是否有人天生就很害羞呢?”
苏菲知道害羞就是难为情,例如因为光着身子被人瞧见而不好意思。但因为这样的事而觉得难为情是很自然的反应吗?在她认为,如果某件事情很自然,那每个人做它的时候都应该觉得很自然。在世界上许多地方,赤身露体是很自然的事。因此一定是一个社会决定你能做什么、不能做什么。在奶奶年轻时,女人做上空日光浴是绝对不可以的。然而今天,大多数人都认为这样做很“自然”,虽然这种行为在许多国家还是严格禁止的。苏菲抓了抓头。难道这就是哲学?
第二个句子是“最聪明的是明白自己无知的人”。
这是怎么比较的呢?如果哲学家的意思是,那些明白自己并不知道太阳底下每一件事的人,比那些知道不多,却自认懂得很多的人要聪明,她还比较可以同意。苏菲过去从来没有想过这件事,但她愈想就愈明白:知道自己无知,也是一种知识。她所见过最愚蠢的人,就是那些对某些自己一无所知的事自信满满的人。
再下面一句:“真正的智慧来自内心”。不过在某个阶段,所有的知识一定得从外面进入人的脑袋吧?但从另外一方面来说,苏菲记得有些时候她对妈妈或学校老师教她的事充耳不闻,而她真正学到的知识则或多或少是自己想出来的。有时候她也会突然间领悟一些事情。这也许就是人们所谓的“智慧”吧!
嗯,到目前为止都还不错。苏菲心想,前面这三个问题她答的都算可以。但接下来这句话实在太奇怪了,她不禁莞尔:“明辨是非者必能进退合宜。”
这是不是说一个强盗抢银行是因为他不能辨别是非?她可不这么想。
相反的,她认为无论孩童还是成人有时总是会干一些傻事,之后可能会后悔,这正是因为他们在做事时不依照自己理性的判断所致。
当她坐在那儿思考时,听见树篱靠近树林那一边的干枯灌木丛中有某个东西正沙沙作响。使者来了吗?她的心开始怦怦地跳。
然后她愈来愈害怕地发现,那个正朝她走来的东西居然发出像动物喘息一般的声音。
说时迟,那时快,一只猎狗钻进了密洞。
它口中衔着一个棕色的大信封,随后便将信丢在苏菲的脚跟前。事情发生得太快了,以致苏菲来不及有什么反应。下一秒钟,她发现自己坐在那儿,手里拿着那个大信封,而那只金黄色的狗已经一溜烟跑回树林里去了。
苏菲愣了一会儿才回过神来。她把手放在膝盖上开始哭泣。
她就这样坐了好一会儿,忘记了时间。
然后她突然抬起头。
原来这就是他所说的使者。她叹了一口气,如释重负。难怪那些白色信封的边缘会有些潮湿并且有洞了。她怎么没有想到呢?无怪乎哲学家会要她在写信给他时,在信封里放一块饼干或糖了。
她也许并不像她自认的那样聪明。但谁会想到送信的使者居然是一只受过训练的狗呢?这还真有点不寻常呢!现在她可别想从送信使者那儿盘问出艾伯特的行踪了。
苏菲打开大信封,开始看了起来。

雅典的哲学

亲爱的苏菲:当你看到这封信时,可能已经遇见汉密士了。
如果你还没遇见,我可以先告诉你它是一只狗。不过你不用担心。它是一只性情很温和的狗,智商也比许多人要高得多,而且它从来不会试图假装聪明。
你可能也已经发现,它的名字其实是有意义的。
在希腊神话中,汉密士(Hermes)是为天神送信的使者,也是航海人的神。不过我们现在且不谈这个。更重要的是,从Hermes衍生了Hermetic这个字。它的意思是“隐藏的”或“无法接近的”。
从汉密士小心不让我俩见面的这个角度来看,这个名字不是颇为恰当吗?
好了,我们的送信使者终于出场了。不用说,你叫它的名字它就会答应,而且它非常乖。
现在我们还是来谈哲学吧!我们已经完成第一部分了。我曾提到自然派的哲学理论以及人类后来完全摒弃神话式世界观的 :事。现在我们要谈谈三位伟大的古典派哲学家:苏格拉底、柏拉图与亚理斯多德。这三位哲学家各自以不同的方式影响了整个欧洲文明。
自然派的哲学家也被称为“苏格拉底之前的哲学家”,因为他们生在苏格拉底之前。德谟克里特斯虽然死于苏格拉底数年之后,但他所有的想法都属于苏格拉底之前的自然派哲学。无论就时间或空间而言,苏格拉底都代表了一个新的时代。他是第一个在雅典诞生的伟大哲学家,他和他的两位传人都在雅典生活、工作。你也许还记得安纳萨哥拉斯以前也曾经在雅典住过一段时间,但后来因为他宣称太阳只是一块红热的石头而被驱逐出境。苏格拉底的遭遇也好不了多少。
自从苏格拉底之后,雅典成为希腊文化的中心。我们要注意的是,在哲学理论从自然派演变到苏格拉底学说的过程中,哲学课题的性质也有了改变。但在我们谈到苏格拉底之前,先让我们来听一听所谓“诡辩学派”的学说。这一派的哲学家是苏格拉底时代雅典的主流学派。
哲学史就像一出分成许多幕的戏剧。注意,苏菲,现在舞台上的布幕就要升起了。

以人为中心

从大约公元前四五O年左右起,雅典成了希腊王国的文化中心。从此以后,哲学走上了一个新的方向。
自然派的哲学家关切的主题是自然世界的本质,这使得他们在科学史上占了很重要的一席之地。而雅典的哲学家的兴趣主要在个人本身与每个人在社会的地位。当时,一个拥有人民议会与法庭等机构的民主制度正在雅典逐渐成形。
为了使民主能够运作,人民必须接受足够的教育以参与民主的进程。在现代,我们也看到新兴的民主国家如何需要开启民智。
当时的雅典人认为,最重要的事就是要精通演说术,也就是说要能够用令人信服的方式来表达自己的看法。
这时,有一群四处游历的教师与哲学家从希腊各殖民地来到了雅典。他们自称为哲士或智者(SopLists)。Sophist这个字原来指的是一个有智慧而且博学的人(按:一般贬称为诡辩学家)。这些诡辩学家在雅典以教导市民为生。
诡辩学家与自然派哲学家有一个共通点,那就是:他们都批评传统的神话。但诡辩学家不屑于从事在他们眼中了无益处的哲学
性思考。他们的看法是:虽然哲学问题或许有答案,但人类永远不可能揭开大自然及宇宙之谜。在哲学上,类似这样的看法被称为
“怀疑论”。
诡辩学家认为,我们虽然无法知道所有自然之谜的答案,却可以肯定人类必须学习如何共同生活。因此,他们宁愿关心个人在社会中的地位的问题。
诡辩学家普罗塔哥拉斯(Protagoras,约公元前四八五一公元前四一O年)曾说过:“人是衡量一切的尺度。”他的意思是:一件事情是对是错、是好是坏,完全要看它与人类的需求有何关系而定。
当有人问他是否相信希腊的诸神时,他答道:“这个问题太复杂,而生命又太短促了。”一个无法确定世上是否有神的人,我们称他为“不可知论者”。
这批诡辩学家多半都是一些游遍各地、见过不同政治制度的人。在他们到过的各个城邦中,无论传统规范或地方法律可能都各不相同。这使得那些诡辩学家不禁质疑哪些事物是与生俱来,而哪些事物又是社会环境造成的。就这样,他们播下了雅典城邦内社会批评的种子。
例如,他们指出,像“天生害羞”这样的说法并不一定成立,因为假使害羞是一种“天生”的性格,那一定是人一出生就有的,是一种出于内在的品格。但是,苏菲,害羞的个性果真是天生的吗?还是由社会环境造成的?对于某个已经游遍世界的人来说,答案应该很简单:害怕展露自己赤裸的身体并非“自然”的,也不是天生的。
害羞——或不害羞——最主要还是受到社会规范的制约所致。
你应该想象得到,这批游历四方的诡辩学家宣称,世间没有绝对的是非标准,这种说法在雅典会造成多么激烈的争议。
相反的,苏格拉底则试图证明此类的规范事实上不容置疑,而且是放诸四海皆准的。
苏格拉底是谁7
苏格拉底(公元前四七O~公元前三九九年)也许是整个哲学
史上最神秘难解的人物。他从未留下任何文字,但却是对欧洲思想影响最重大的人物之一。而这并不全然是因为他后来戏剧性的结束了生命的缘故。
我们知道苏格拉底生于雅典。他有生之年大半时间都在市中心广场与市场等地与他遇见的人闲谈。他说:“乡野的树木不能教我任何东西。”有时他也会连续好几小时站着思想、发呆。
即使在当时,他也被视为谜样的人物,但他死后很快就被誉为许多哲学学派的始祖。正因为他神秘难解、模棱两可,才使得一些在学说上大相径庭的学派都可以宣称他们是苏格拉底的传人。
我们现在可以确知的是:苏格拉底长得很丑。他肚大、眼凸,有个狮子鼻。但据说他的性情“极为和蔼可亲”,也有人说他是“古今无人能及”的人物。尽管如此,他还是因为他从事的哲学活动而被判处死刑。
我们之所以能够得知苏格拉底的生平,主要是透过柏拉图的著作。柏拉图是苏格拉底的学生,后来也成为古往今来最伟大的哲学家之一。
柏拉图曾撰写过几本《对话录》,以类似戏剧对白来讨论哲学,而苏格拉底就是其中的主要人物与代言人。
由于柏拉图在书中是透过苏格拉底之口来阐扬自己的哲学,因此我们无法确定对话录中苏格拉底说的话是否确是苏格拉底本人说的。因此,要区分苏格拉底的学说与柏拉图的哲学并不容易。这也是我们面临其他许多未曾留下撰述的历史人物时遭遇的难题。最典型的例子当然是耶稣了。
我们无法确定当年的耶稣是否讲过马太福音或路加福音上记载的话。同样的,苏格拉底本人究竟说过些什么话,将会一直是历史上的谜团。
不过,苏格拉底的真正面貌其实并不那么重要。因为近两千五百年来对西方思想家产生启发作用的,事实上是柏拉图描绘出来的苏格拉底。
谈话的艺术
苏格拉底的高明之处在于他与人谈话时看来并无意要指导别人。事实上他给人的印象是他很想从那些与他谈话的人身上学到一些东西。所以,他并不像传统的学校教师那般讲课,而是与别人
进行讨论。
如果他纯粹只是倾听别人说话,那他显然不会成为一个著名的哲学家,也不会被判处死刑。不过,话说回来,他所做的也只不过是提出问题而已,尤其是在刚开始与人谈话时,仿佛他一无所知似的。通常在讨论过程中,他会设法使他的对手承认自己理论上的弱点。最后,到了词穷之际,他们也不得不认清是非与对错。
苏格拉底的母亲是一位产婆。苏格拉底也常说他的谈话艺术就像为人接生一样。产婆本身并不是生孩子的人,她只是帮忙接生而已。同样的,苏格拉底认为他的工作就是帮助人们“生出”正确的
思想,因为真正的知识来自内心,而不是得自别人的传授。同时,唯有出自内心的知识,才能使人拥有真正的智慧。
说得更明白些:生小孩的能力是与生俱来的。同样的,每一个人只要运用本身的常识,就可以领悟哲学的真理。所谓运用本身的常识就是搜寻自己的内心,运用内心的智慧。
借着假装无知的方式,苏格拉底强迫他所遇见的人们运用本身的常识。这种装傻、装呆的方式,我们称为“苏格拉底式的反讽”。
这使得他能够不断揭露人们思想上的弱点。即使在市区广场的中心,他也照做不误。于是,对于某些人而言,与苏格拉底谈话无异于当众出丑并成为众人的笑柄。
因此我们不难理解为何当时的人愈来愈将苏格拉底视为眼中钉,尤其是那些在地方上有头有脸的人。据说,苏格拉底曾说:“雅典就像一匹驽马,而我就是一只不断叮它,让它具有活力的牛蝇。”
“我们是怎样对付牛蝇的?苏菲,你可以告诉我吗?”

神圣的声音

苏格拉底之所以不断地像牛蝇般叮他的同胞,并不是想折磨他们。而是他内心有某种声音让他非如此做不可。他总是说他的心中有“神明指引”。举例说,他不愿伙同众人将他人判处死罪,也不愿打政敌的小报告。这终于使他丧失性命。
在公元前三九九年时,他被控“宣扬新的神明,腐化青年人”。
在五百名陪审团员的投票之下,他以些微的票数之差被定罪。
他大可以恳求陪审团手下留情,或至少可以同意离开雅典,借以免于一死。
然而,如果他这样做,他就不是苏格拉底了。问题在于他重视他的良心——与真理——更甚于生命。他向陪审团保证他过去所作所为全是为了国家的福祉。然而他们还是要他服毒。不久,苏格拉底就当着友人的面喝下毒药,结束了生命。
为什么?苏菲,为什么苏格拉底非死不可?两千四百年来人们不断问着这个问题。然而,他并不是历史上唯一坚持不肯妥协,最后落得被定罪处死的人。
我曾经提过的耶稣就是其中之一。事实上,苏格拉底与耶稣之间还有若干极为相似之处。
他们两人都是谜样的人物,即使对于与他们同时代的人也是 如此。他们都没有将他们的学说教诲撰写成书,因此我们只好透过他们门徒的描写来认识他们。不过可以肯定的是,他们两个都是通晓谈话艺术的专家。他们说起话来都充满自信、侃侃而谈,虽然引人入胜,但也可能会得罪别人。此外,他们都相信自己是某一种更高力量的代言人。他们批评各种形式的不公不义与腐败现象,向地方势力挑战,最后并因此丧命。
耶稣与苏格拉底所受的审判显然也有雷同之处。
他们原本都可以求饶,但他们却都觉得如果不成仁取义,就无法完成他们的使命。而由于他们如此从容就义,所以吸引了许多徒众追随,即使在他们死后仍然如此。
我指出这些相似之处并不是说耶稣与苏格拉底相像。我只是要提醒你注意,他们所要传达的信息与他们个人的勇气是密不可分的。

雅典的小丑

苏菲,接下来我们还是要谈苏格拉底。我们刚才已经谈到他所使用的方法,但他的哲学课题又是什么?
苏格拉底与那些诡辩学家生在同一时代。他就像他们一样,比 较关心个人与他在社会中的位置,对于大自然的力量较不感兴趣。
就像几百年后罗马哲学家西塞罗所说的,苏格拉底“将哲学从天上召唤下来,使它在各地落脚生根,并进入各个家庭,还迫使它审视生命、伦理与善恶”。
不过,苏格拉底有一点与诡辩学派不同,而这点很重要。他并不认为自己是个“智者”,即博学或聪明的人。他也不像诡辩学家一样,为赚钱而教书。不,苏格拉底称自己为“哲学家”,而他也的确是 一位真正的哲学家,因为哲学家的英文philo---sopher这个字的意思是“一个爱好智慧的人”。
苏菲,你现在坐得舒服吗?你必须完全了解“智者”与“哲学家”之间的差异,这样我们才能继续上以后的课程。诡辩学家教人道理,并收取学费,而他们所说的道理或多或少都有吹毛求疵的意味。这样的诡辩学家千百年来不知凡几。我指的是所有的学校教师、那些自以为无所不知而以既有的一丁点知识为满足的人,以及那些自夸博学多闻但实际上一无所知的人。你年纪虽小,但或许已经遇见过几位这样的诡辩学家。一个真正的哲学家则完全不同,事实上他们与诡辩学家正好相反。他们知道实际上自己所知十分有限,这也是为何他们不断追求真知灼见的原因。苏格拉底就是这些稀有人物之一。他知道自己对生命与世界一无所知,并对自己贫乏的知识感到相当懊恼。这点非常重要。
所以说,所谓哲学家就是那些领悟到自己有很多事情并不知道,并因此而感到苦恼的人。就这一方面而
 楼主| 发表于 2019-1-18 11:26:44 | 只看该作者
Athens

... several tall buildings had risen from the ruins 

Early that evening Sophie's mother went to visit a friend. As soon as she was out of the house Sophie went down the garden to the den. There she found a thick package beside the big cookie tin. Sophie tore it open. It was a video cassette.

She ran back to the house. A video tape! How on earth did the philosopher know they had a VCR? And what was on the cassette?

Sophie put the cassette into the recorder. A sprawling city appeared on the TV screen. As the camera zoomed in on the Acropolis Sophie realized that the city must be Athens. She had often seen pictures of the ancient ruins there.

It was a live shot. Summer-clad tourists with cameras slung about them were swarming among the ruins. One of them looked as if he was carrying a notice board. There it was again. Didn't it say "Hilde"?

After a minute or two there was a close-up of a middle-aged man. He was rather short, with a black, well-trimmed beard, and he was wearing a blue beret. He looked into the camera and said: "Welcome to Athens, Sophie. As you have probably guessed, I am Alberto Knox. If not, I will just reiterate that the big rabbit is still being pulled from the top hat of the universe.

"We are standing at the Acropolis. The word means 'citadel'--or more precisely, 'the city on the hill.' People have lived up here since the Stone Age. The reason, naturally, was its unique location. The elevated plateau was easy to defend against marauders. From the Acrop-olis there was also an excellent view down to one of the best harbors in the Mediterranean. As the early Athens began to develop on the plain below the plateau, the Acropolis was used as a fortress and sacred shrine... During the first half of the fifth century B.C., a bitter war was waged against the Persians, and in 480 the Persian king Xerxes plundered Athens and burned all the old wooden buildings of the Acropolis. A year later the Persians were defeated, and that was the beginning of the Golden Age of Athens. The Acropolis was rebuilt-- prouder and more magnificent than ever--and now purely as a sacred shrine.

"This was the period when Socrates walked through the streets and squares talking with the Athenians. He could thus have witnessed the rebirth of the Acropolis and watched the construction of all the proud buildings we see around us. And what a building site it was! Behind me you can see the biggest temple, the Parthenon, which means 'the Virgin's Place.' It was built in honor of Athene, the patron goddess of Athens. The huge marble structure does not have a single straight line; all four sides are slightly curved to make the building appear less heavy. In spite of its colossal dimensions, it gives the impression of lightness. In other words, it presents an optical illusion. The columns lean slightly inwards, and would form a pyramid 1,500 meters high if they were continued to a point above the temple. The temple contained nothing but a twelve-meter-high statue of Athene. The white marble, which in those days was painted in vivid colors, was transported here from a mountain sixteen kilometers away."

Sophie sat with her heart in her mouth. Was this really the philosopher talking to her? She had only seen his profile that one time in the darkness. Could he be the same man who was now standing at the Acropolis in Athens?

He began to walk along the length of the temple and the camera followed him. He walked right to the edge of the terrace and pointed out over the landscape. The camera focused on an old theater which lay just below the plateau of the Acropolis.

"There you can see the old Dionysos Theater," continued the man in the beret. "It is probably the very oldest theater in Europe. This is where the great tragedies of Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides were performed during the time of Socrates. I referred earlier to the ill-fated King Oedipus. The tragedy about him, by Sophocles, was first performed here. But they also played comedies. The best known writer of comedies was Aristophanes, who also wrote a spiteful comedy about Socrates as the buffoon of Athens. Right at the back you can see the stone wall which the actors used as a backdrop. It was called skene, and is the origin of our word 'scene.' Incidentally, the word 'theater' comes from an old Greek word meaning 'to see.' But we must get back to the philosophers, Sophie. We are going around the Parthenon and down through the gateway ..."

The little man walked around the huge temple and passed some smaller temples on his right. Then he began to walk down some steps between several tall columns. When he reached the foot of the Acropolis, he went up a small hill and pointed out toward Athens: "The hill we are standing on is called Areopagos. It was here that the Athenian high court of justice passed judgment in murder trials. Many hundreds of years later, St. Paul the Apostle stood here and preached about Jesus and Christianity to the Athenians. We shall return to what he said on a later occasion. Down to the left you can see the remains of the old city square in Athens, the agora. With the exception of the large temple to Hephaestos, the god of smiths and metalworkers, only some blocks of marble are preserved. Let us go down ..."

The next moment he appeared among the ancient ruins. High up beneath the sky--at the top of Sophie's screen--towered the monumental Athene temple on the Acropolis. Her philosophy teacher had seated himself on one of the blocks of marble. He looked into the camera and said: "We are sitting in the old agora in Athens. A sorry sight, don't you think? Today, I mean. But once it was surrounded by splendid temples, courts of justice and other public offices, shops, a concert hall, and even a large gymnastics building. All situated around the square, which was a large open space ... The whole of European civilization was founded in this modest area.

"Words such as politics and democracy, economy and history, biology and physics, mathematics and logic, theology and philosophy, ethics and psychology, theory and method, idea and system date back to the tiny populace whose everyday life centered around this square. This is where Socrates spent so much of his time talking to the people he met. He might have buttonholed a slave bearing a jar of olive oil, and asked the unfortunate man a question on philosophy, for Socrates held that a slave had the same common sense as a man of rank. Perhaps he stood in an animated wrangle with one of the citizens--or held a subdued conversation with his young pupil Plato. It is extraordinary to think about. We still speak of Socratic or Platonic philosophy, but actually being Plato or Socrates is quite another matter."

Sophie certainly did think it was extraordinary to think about. But she thought it was just as extraordinary the way her philosopher was suddenly talking to her on a video that had been brought to her own secret hideout in the garden by a mysterious dog.

The philosopher rose from the block of marble he was sitting on and said quietly: "It was actually my intention to leave it at that, Sophie. I wanted you to see the Acropolis and the remains of the old agora in Athens. But I am not yet sure that you have grasped just how splendid these surroundings once were ... so I am very tempted to go a bit further. It is quite irregular of course ... but I am sure I can count on it remaining just between the two of us. Oh well, a tiny glimpse will suffice anyway ..."

He said no more, but remained standing there for a long time, staring into the camera. While he stood there, several tall buildings had risen from the ruins. As if by magic, all the old buildings were once again standing.

Above the skyline Sophie could still see the Acropolis, but now both that and all the buildings down on the square were brand-new. They were covered with gold and painted in garish colors. Gaily dressed people were strolling about the square. Some wore swords, others carried jars on their heads, and one of them had a roll of papyrus under his arm.

Then Sophie recognized her philosophy teacher. He was still wearing the blue beret, but now he was dressed in a yellow tunic in the same style as everyone else. He came toward Sophie, looked into the camera, and said:

"That's better! Now we are in the Athens of antiquity, Sophie. I wanted you to come here in person, you see. We are in the year 402 B.C., only three years before Socrates dies. I hope you appreciate this exclusive visit because it was very difficult to hire a video camera ..."

Sophie felt dizzy. How could this weird man suddenly be in Athens 2,400 years ago? How could she be seeing a video film of a totally different age? There were no videos in antiquity ... so could this be a movie?

But all the marble buildings looked real. If they had recreated all of the old square in Athens as well as the Acropolis just for the sake of a film--the sets would have cost a fortune. At any rate it would be a colossal price to pay just to teach Sophie about Athens.

The man in the beret looked up at her again.

"Do you see those two men over there under the colonnade?"

Sophie noticed an elderly man in a crumpled tunic. He had a long unkempt beard, a snub nose, eyes like gimlets, and chubby cheeks. Beside him stood a handsome young man.

"That is Socrates and his young pupil, Plato. You are going to meet them personally."

The philosopher went over to the two men, took off his beret, and said something which Sophie did not understand. It must have been in Greek. Then he looked into the camera and said, "I told them you were a Norwegian girl who would very much like to meet them. So now Plato will give you some questions to think about. But we must do it quickly before the guards discover us."

Sophie felt the blood pounding in her temples as the young man stepped forward and looked into the camera.

"Welcome to Athens, Sophie," he said in a gentle voice. He spoke with an accent. "My name is Plato and I am going to give you four tasks. First you must think over how a baker can bake fifty absolutely identical cookies. Then you can ask yourself why all horses are the same. Next you must decide whether you think that man has an immortal soul. And finally you must say whether men and women are equally sensible. Good luck!"

Then the picture on the TV screen disappeared. Sophie wound and rewound the tape but she had seen all there was.

Sophie tried to think things through clearly. But as soon as she thought one thought, another one crowded in before she had thought the first one to its end.

She had known from the start that her philosophy teacher was eccentric. But when he started to use teaching methods that defied all the laws of nature, Sophie thought he was going too far.

Had she really seen Socrates and Plato on TV? Of course not, that was impossible. But it definitely wasn't a cartoon.

Sophie took the cassette out of the video recorder and ran up to her room with it. She put it on the top shelf with all the Lego blocks. Then she sank onto the bed, exhausted, and fell asleep.

Some hours later her mother came into the room. She shook Sophie gently and said:

"What's the matter, Sophie?"

"Mmmm?"

"You've gone to sleep with all your clothes on!"

Sophie blinked her eyes sleepily.

"I've been to Athens," she mumbled. That was all she could manage to say as she turned over and went back to sleep.

楼主| 发表于 2019-1-18 11:27:24 | 只看该作者
雅典

……废墟中升起了几栋高楼……
那天傍晚,苏菲的妈妈去拜访一位朋友。她一出门,苏菲立刻下楼,跑到花园中老树篱内的密洞。她在里面发现了一个厚厚的包裹,就放在饼干盒旁。苏菲拆开包裹,里面是一卷录影带。
她跑回屋里。一卷录影带!这次特别不同。哲学家怎会知道她家有录放影机?录影带内又是什么呢?
苏菲将带子放进录影机。电视荧屏出现了一座面积辽阔的城市。当摄影机镜头带人到巴特农神殿时,苏菲知道这座城市一定是雅典。她从前常常看到当地古代废墟的照片。
这卷录影带拍的是真实的情景。一群穿着夏装、的游客背着相机在废墟之间走动。其中有一个人好像拿着一块告示牌。又来了。
苏菲心想,牌子上面写的可不是“席德”这两个字吗?
一两分钟后,镜头变成一个中年男子的特写。他个子甚为矮小,留着一脸整齐干净的黑胡子,头上戴着一顶蓝扁帽。他看着镜头说:
“欢迎你来到雅典,苏菲。我想你大概已经猜到了,我就是艾伯特。如果你还没猜到,我可以再说一次,那只大兔子仍然可以被魔术师从宇宙的帽子之中拉出来。
“我们现在正站在雅典的高城(Acropolis)。这个字的意思是‘城堡’,或者更准确地说,是‘山城’的意思。自从石器时代以来,这里就有人居住。这自然是因为它地理位置特殊的缘故。它的地势高,在盗匪入侵时容易防守。从高城这儿俯瞰,可以很清楚地看到地中海的一个良港。古代雅典人开始在高地下面的平原发展时,高城被当作城堡和神庙。公元前第四世纪的前半,雅典人对波斯人发‘动了一场惨烈的战争。公元前四八O年时,波斯国王齐尔克西(Xerxes)率兵掠夺了雅典城,并将高城所有的古老木造建筑焚烧净尽。一年后,波斯人被打败,雅典的黄金时代也从此开始。雅典人开始重建高城,规模更大,气象也更雄浑,而且完全做为神庙使用。
“就在这个时期,苏格拉底穿梭在大街小巷与广场上,与雅典
人民谈话。他原本可以目睹高城的复兴,并看到我们四周这些雄伟建筑的进展。你瞧,这是一个多么好的地方。在我后面,你可以看到世界上最大的神庙巴特农神殿。巴特农(Panhenon)的意思是‘处女之地’,是为了崇奉雅典的保护神雅典娜(Athene)而建造的。
这整座宏伟的大理石建筑看不到一条直线。它的四面墙壁都稍微有些弧度,以使整栋建筑看来不致太过沉重。也因此这座神庙虽然硕大无朋,却仍给人轻巧之感,这就是所谓的视觉幻象。神殿所有的柱子都微向内弯,如果继续朝上发展,将可以形成一座一千五百公尺高的金字塔。神殿内只有一尊十二公尺高的雅典娜雕像。此处所用的白色大理石是从十六公里以外的一座山上运来的,当年上面还有五彩的图画。”
苏菲的心差一点跳出来。哲学家真的是在跟她说话吗?她只有一次在黑暗中看过他的侧影。他真的就是这位站在雅典高城的男人吗?
他开始沿着神殿的前方走,摄影机也跟着他。他走到台地边缘;指着四周的风景。摄影机把焦点放在高城高地的正下方一座古老的戏院。
“你在那里可以看到古老的酒神剧院。”这位戴着扁帽的老人继续说:“这也许是欧洲最古老的剧院。在苏格拉底时期,伊思齐勒斯(Aeschylus)、索福克里斯(Sophoeles)与尤瑞皮底斯(Euripides)等希腊剧作家写的伟大悲剧就在这儿上演。我以前曾经提到命运凄惨的伊迪帕斯国王。这出悲剧最先就是在这儿上演。不过这里也演喜剧。当时最知名的喜剧作家叫亚里斯多芬尼斯(Aristo—phanes)。他曾经写过一出恶毒的喜剧,将苏格拉底描写成雅典的一个丑角。在剧院正后方,你可以看到一块当年被演员们用作背景的地方,叫做skene,英文的scene(场景)这个字就是由此字衍生的。顺便一提的是,英文theater(剧院、剧场)这个字是源自古希腊文,原意是“看”。不过,到这里,我们得回头谈谈哲学家了。现在我们要绕过巴特农神殿走下去,经过大门口……”
这个矮小的男人绕过巨大的神殿,经过右边几座较小的神庙。
然后他开始沿着两边排列着高大石柱的梯阶走下去。到达高城的最低点时,他走上一座小山丘,用手遥指着雅典的方向:“我们现在站的这个小山丘是古代雅典的高等法院(Areopa—gos),也是雅典人审判杀人犯的地方。几百年以后,使徒保罗曾站在此处对雅典人宣扬耶稣基督的教诲。以后我们会谈到他所说的。
在左下方,你可以看到雅典古老的市区广场(Agora)的遗迹,如今除了供奉铁匠与金属工人之神贺非斯托思(Hephaestos)的大神庙之外,只剩下几块大理石了。现在我们继续往下走……”
不久,他出现在这片古废墟中。在荧屏上方,只见高城的雅典 娜神殿巍然矗立在天空下。她的哲学教师已经坐在一块大理石上。
一两分钟后,他看着摄影机说:
“现在我们正坐在从前雅典的市区广场上。如今这里的景象令人唏嘘,不是吗?但从前这里四周环绕的都是壮丽的神殿、法院和 其他政府机构、商店、音乐厅,甚至还有一个大型的体育场。这些建筑物环绕着广场,而广场本身则是一个宽阔开放的空间……整个欧洲的文明都在这个朴实的地方扎下根基。
“今天我们听到的一些字眼,如政治与民主、经济与历史、生物与物理、数学与逻辑、神学与哲学、伦理学与,b理学、理论与方法、概念与系统以及其他许许多多的字眼,最先都是由以这个广场为日常生活中心的一小群人发明的。这里也就是当年苏格拉底花了许多时间与人谈话的广场,那个时候,他可能会抓住一个扛着一瓶橄榄油的奴隶不放,并且问这个倒楣的人一个哲学问题,因为苏格拉底认为奴隶与一般人一样有常识。有时他也会与别人争辩得脸红脖子粗,或与他的学生柏拉图进行一场温和的讨论。想起来,这是多么奇妙的事啊!现代人仍然时常提到‘苏格拉底式’与‘柏拉图式’的哲学,但真正做苏格拉底或柏拉图却是两码子事。”
一时之间,苏菲也觉得这件事想起来真是很奇妙。
不过,她认为,她的哲学老师居然派他那只很不寻常的狗把录影带送到她在花园中的密洞,而现在他本人正在荧屏上对她说话,这件事不是也很奇妙吗?
哲学家从大理石上起身,平静地说道:
“苏菲,我原来只打算到此为止,让你看看高城和古代雅典广 畅的遗迹就好了。但是现在我还不确定你是否能够想象从前这儿四周的景象是多么壮观……因此我很想……再进一步……当然这是不太寻常的……但我确实想要这么做。我相信你一定不会告诉别人吧?不管怎么说,我们看一下就够了……”
他说完后站在那儿静默了好一会儿,眼睛看着摄影机。就在这段时间,废墟中突然升起了几栋高大的建筑。就像魔术一般,所有昔日的建筑又突然再现。高城依旧巍然矗立天际,但不同的是,无论高城或是广场上的屋宇建筑,如今看来都焕然一新,上面镶着金箔,绘着艳丽的色彩。服饰鲜明的人群在广场四周慢慢走着。有人佩着剑,有人头上顶着瓶子,其中有一个人腋下夹着一卷纸草做成的纸。
这时,苏菲看到了她的哲学老师。他还是戴着那顶蓝色的扁帽,只是换了衣裳。如今他穿着一件长及膝盖的黄衫,与其他人没有两样。他走向苏菲,看着镜头说道:
“这样好些了。我们来到了古代的雅典城,我就是希望你能亲自来这儿。你瞧,现在的年代是公元前四O二年,也就是苏格拉底逝世的三年前。我希望你喜欢这次游览,因为我可是费了很大的劲才雇到一个摄影师的……”
苏菲觉得头昏。这个奇怪的人怎么会一下子就到了两千四百年前的雅典?自己怎么可能看到另外一个时代的录影带?古代并没有录影机呀!难道这是电影吗?
然而,那些大理石建筑看起来却是如此逼真。如果他们为了拍片而重建整座雅典广场与高城的话,那光是布景一定就要花一大笔钱。如果这样做,只是为了让苏菲了解雅典昔日的景象,那花费实在是太大了。
戴着蓝扁帽的男人再度抬起头看着苏菲
“你看到那边廊柱下站的两个男人吗?”
苏菲看到一个年长的男子穿了一件皱巴巴的长衫,一脸乱七八糟的胡子,狮子鼻,目光犀利,两颊丰满。他身旁站了一个英俊的年轻人。
“这就是苏格拉底和他的学生柏拉图,你将亲自与他们见面。”
哲学家走到那两人身旁,取下他的扁帽,说了一些苏菲听不懂的话。苏菲想,那一定是希腊文。然后,他看着摄影机说:
“我告诉他们你是一个挪威女孩,很想见见他们。因此,现在柏拉图会问你一些问题让你思考。不过我们得快点,以免被警卫发现。”
当那位年轻人走向前来,看着摄影机时,苏菲觉得自己全身的血液都涌到太阳穴来。
“苏菲,欢迎你到雅典来,”年轻人用一种浓厚的外国腔调轻声地说。“我的名字叫柏拉图。我要让你做四件事。第一,请你想一想,一个面包师傅如何能做五十个一模一样的饼干。其次,你要问自己,为何所有的马都一样。第三,你必须肯定地回答人的灵魂是否不朽。最后请你告诉我们,男人与女人是否一样具有理性。祝你好运。”
然后,电视荧屏上的影像消失了。苏菲将带子转了又转,倒了又倒。不过再也没有任何影像了。
苏菲努力整理自己的思绪。不过她一件事还没想完,第二件事已开始在脑中浮现。
她一开始就知道她的哲学教师与常人不同。不过苏菲认为,他运用这类违反所有自然法则的教学方法也实在是太过分了。
她真的在电视上看到了苏格拉底与柏拉图吗?当然不,这完全不可能。但那看起来又绝对不像是卡通。
苏菲将带子从录影机内取出,拿到楼上房间。她把它放在柜子上层,积木的旁边,然后她就一股脑儿躺下,整个人疲倦不堪。不久就睡着了。
几个小时后,妈妈走进她的房间,轻轻地摇一摇她,说:
“苏菲,你怎么啦?”
“嗯?”
“你衣服都没脱就睡了。”
苏菲睁了睁惺忪的睡眼。
“我到雅典去了。”她含糊地说,之后翻个身又睡着了。

楼主| 发表于 2019-1-18 11:28:13 | 只看该作者
Plato

a longing to return to the realm of the soul

Sophie woke with a start early the next morning. She glanced at the clock. It was only a little after five but she was so wide awake that she sat up in bed. Why was she wearing a dress? Then she remembered everything.

She climbed onto a stool and looked on the top shelf of the closet. Yes--there, at the back, was the video cassette. It hadn't been a dream after all; at least, not all of it.

But she couldn't really have seen Plato and Socrates ... oh, never mind! She didn't have the energy to think about it any more. Perhaps her mother was right, perhaps she was acting a bit nuts these days.

Anyway, she couldn't go back to sleep. Perhaps she ought to go down to the den and see if the dog had left another letter. Sophie crept downstairs, put on a pair of jogging shoes, and went out.

In the garden everything was wonderfully clear and still. The birds were chirping so energetically that Sophie could hardly keep from laughing. The morning dew twinkled in the grass like drops of crystal. Once again she was struck by the incredible wonder of the world.

Inside the old hedge it was also very damp. Sophie saw no new letter from the philosopher, but nevertheless she wiped off one of the thick roots and sat down.

She recalled that the video-Plato had given her some questions to answer. The first was something about how a baker could bake fifty identical cookies.

Sophie had to think very carefully about that, because it definitely wouldn't be easy. When her mother occasionally baked a batch of cookies, they were never all exactly the same. But then she was not an expert pastry cook; sometimes the kitchen looked as if a bomb had hit it. Even the cookies they bought at the baker's were never exactly the same. Every single cookie was shaped separately in the baker's hands.

Then a satisfied smile spread over Sophie's face. She remembered how once she and her father went shopping while her mother was busy baking Christmas cookies. When they got back there were a lot of gingerbread men spread out on the kitchen table. Even though they weren't all perfect, in a way they were all the same. And why was that? Obviously because her mother had used the same mold for all of them.

Sophie felt so pleased with herself for having remembered the incident that she pronounced herself done with the first question. If a baker makes fifty absolutely identical cookies, he must be using the same pastry mold for all of them. And that's that!

Then the video-Plato had looked into the camera and asked why all horses were the same. But they weren't, at all! On the contrary, Sophie thought no two horses were the same, just as no two people were the same.

She was ready to give up on that one when she remembered what she had thought about the cookies. No one of them was exactly like any of the others. Some were a bit thicker than the others, and some were broken. But still, everyone could see that they were--in a way-- "exactly the same."

What Plato was really asking was perhaps why a horse was always a horse, and not, for example, a cross between a horse and a pig. Because even though some horses were as brown as bears and others were as white as lambs, all horses had something in common. Sophie had yet to meet a horse with six or eight legs, for example.

But surely Plato couldn't believe that what made all horses alike was that they were made with the same mold?

Then Plato had asked her a really difficult question. Does man have an immortal soul? That was something Sophie felt quite unqualified to answer. All she knew was that dead bodies were either cremated or buried, so there was no future for them. If man had an immortal soul, one would have to believe that a person consisted of two separate parts: a body that gets worn out after many years--and a soul that operates more or less independently of what happens to the body. Her grandmother had said once that she felt it was only her body that was old. Inside she had always been the same young girl-The thought of the "young girl" led Sophie to the last question: Are women and men equally sensible? She was not so sure about that. It depended on what Plato meant by sensible.

Something the philosopher had said about Socrates came into her mind. Socrates had pointed out that everyone could understand philosophical truths if they just used their common sense. He had also said that a slave had the same common sense as a nobleman. Sophie was sure that he would also have said that women had the same common sense as men.

While she sat thinking, there was a sudden rustling in the hedge, and the sound of something puffing and blowing like a steam engine. The next second, the golden Labrador slipped into the den. It had a large envelope in its mouth.

"Hermes!" cried Sophie. "drop it! drop it!" The dog dropped the envelope in Sophie's lap, and Sophie stretched out her hand to pat the dog's head. "Good boy, Hermes!" she said. The dog lay down and allowed itself to be patted. But after a couple of minutes it got up and began to push its way back through the hedge the same way it had come in. Sophie followed with the brown envelope in her hand. She crawled through the dense thicket and was soon outside the garden.

Hermes had already started to run toward the edge of the woods, and Sophie followed a few yards behind. Twice the dog turned around and growled, but Sophie was not to be deterred.

This time she was determined to find the philosopher--even if it meant running all the way to Athens.

The dog ran faster and suddenly turned off down a narrow path. Sophie chased him, but after a few minutes he turned and faced her, barking like a watchdog. Sophie still refused to give up, taking the opportunity to lessen the distance between them.

Hermes turned and raced down the path. Sophie realized that she would never catch up with him. She stood quite still for what seemed like an eternity, listening to him running farther and farther away. Then all was silent.

She sat down on a tree stump by a little clearing in the woods. She still had the brown envelope in her hand. She opened it, drew out several typewritten pages, and began to read:

PLATO'S ACADEMY

Thank you for the pleasant time we spent together, Sophie. In Athens, I mean. So now I have at least introduced myself. And since I have also introduced Plato, we might as well begin without further ado.

Plato (428-347 B.C.) was twenty-nine years old when Socrates drank the hemlock. He had been a pupil of Socrates for some time and had followed his trial very closely. The fact that Athens could condemn its noblest citizen to death did more than make a profound impression on him. It was to shape the course of his entire philosophic endeavor.

To Plato, the death of Socrates was a striking example of the conflict that can exist between society as it really is and the true or ideal society. Plato's first deed as a philosopher was to publish Socrates' Apology, an account of his plea to the large jury.

As you will no doubt recall, Socrates never wrote anything down, although many of the pre-Socratics did. The problem is that hardly any of their written material remains. But in the case of Plato, we believe that all his principal works have been preserved. (In addition to Socrates' Apology, Plato wrote a collection of Epistles and about twenty-five philosophical Dialogues.) That we have these works today is due not least to the fact that Plato set up his own school of philosophy in a grove not far from Athens, named after the legendary Greek hero Academus. The school was therefore known as the Academy. (Since then, many thousands of "academies" have been established all over the world. We still speak of "academics" and "academic subjects.")

The subjects taught at Plato's Academy were philosophy, mathematics, and gymnastics--although perhaps "taught" is hardly the right word. Lively discourse was considered most important at Plato's Academy. So it was not purely by chance that Plato's writings took the form of dialogues.

The Eternally True, Eternally Beautiful, and Eternally Good

In the introduction to this course I mentioned that it could often be a good idea to ask what a particular philosopher's project was. So now I ask: what were the problems Plato was concerned with?

Briefly, we can establish that Plato was concerned with the relationship between what is eternal and immutable, on the one hand, and what "flows," on the other. (Just like the pre-Socratics, in fact.) We've seen how the Sophists and Socrates turned their attention from questions of natural philosophy to problems related to man and society. And yet in one sense, even Socrates and the Sophists were preoccupied with the relationship between the eternal and immutable, and the "flowing." They were interested in the problem as it related to human morals and society's ideals or virtues. Very briefly, the Sophists thought that perceptions of what was right or wrong varied from one city-state to another, and from one generation to the next. So right and wrong was something that "flowed." This was totally unacceptable to Socrates. He believed in the existence of eternal and absolute rules for what was right or wrong. By using our common sense we can all arrive at these immutable norms, since human reason is in fact eternal and immutable.

Do you follow, Sophie? Then along comes Plato. He is concerned with both what is eternal and immutable in nature and what is eternal and immutable as regards morals and society. To Plato, these two problems were one and the same. He tried to grasp a "reality" that was eternal and immutable.

And to be quite frank, that is precisely what we need philosophers for. We do not need them to choose a beauty queen or the day's bargain in tomatoes. (This is why they are often unpopular!) Philosophers will try to ignore highly topical affairs and instead try to draw people's attention to what is eternally "true," eternally "beau-tiful," and eternally "good."

We can thus begin to glimpse at least the outline of Plato's philosophical project. But let's take one thing at a time. We are attempting to understand an extraordinary mind, a mind that was to have a profound influence on all subsequent European philosophy.

The World of Ideas

Both Empedocles and Democritus had drawn attention to the fact that although in the natural world everything "flows," there must nevertheless be "something" that never changes (the "four roots," or the "atoms"). Plato agreed with the proposition as such--but in quite a different way.

Plato believed that everything tangible in nature "flows." So there are no "substances" that do not dissolve. Absolutely everything that belongs to the "material world" is made of a material that time can erode, but everything is made after a timeless "mold" or "form" that is eternal and immutable.

You see? No, you don't.

Why are horses the same, Sophie? You probably don't think they are at all. But there is something that all horses have in common, something that enables us to identify them as horses. A particular horse "flows," naturally. It might be old and lame, and in time it will die. But the "form" of the horse is eternal and immutable.

That which is eternal and immutable, to Plato, is therefore not a physical "basic substance," as it was for Empedocles and Democritus. Plato's conception was of eternal and immutable patterns, spiritual and abstract in their nature that all things are fashioned after.

Let me put it like this: The pre-Socratics had given a reasonably good explanation of natural change without having to presuppose that anything actually "changed." In the midst of nature's cycle there were some eternal and immutable smallest elements that did not dissolve, they thought. Fair enough, Sophie! But they had no reasonable explanation for how these "smallest elements" that were once building blocks in a horse could suddenly whirl together four or five hundred years later and fashion themselves into a completely new horse. Or an elephant or a crocodile, for that matter. Plato's point was that Democritus' atoms never fashioned themselves into an "eledile" or a "crocophant." This was what set his philosophical reflections going.

If you already understand what I am getting at, you may skip this next paragraph. But just in case, I will clarify: You have a box of Lego and you build a Lego horse. You then take it apart and put the blocks back in the box. You cannot expect to make a new horse just by shaking the box. How could Lego blocks of their own accord find each other and become a new horse again? No, you have to rebuild the horse, Sophie. And the reason you can do it is that you have a picture in your mind of what the horse looked like. The Lego horse is made from a model which remains unchanged from horse to horse.

How did you do with the fifty identical cookies? Let us assume that you have dropped in from outer space and have never seen a baker before. You stumble into a tempting bakery--and there you catch sight of fifty identical gingerbread men on a shelf. I imagine you would wonder how they could be exactly alike. It might well be that one of them has an arm missing, another has lost a bit of its head, and a third has a funny bump on its stomach. But after careful thought, you would nevertheless conclude that all gingerbread men have something in common. Although none of them is perfect, you would suspect that they had a common origin. You would realize that all the cookies were formed in the same mold. And what is more, Sophie, you are now seized by the irresistible desire to see this mold. Because clearly, the mold itself must be utter perfection--and in a sense, more beautiful--in comparison with these crude copies.

If you solved this problem all by yourself, you arrived at the philosophical solution in exactly the same way that Plato did.

Like most philosophers, he "dropped in from outer space." (He stood up on the very tip of one of the fine hairs of the rabbit's fur.) He was astonished at the way all natural phenomena could be so alike, and he concluded that it had to be because there are a limited number of forms "behind" everything we see around us. Plato called these forms ideas. Behind every horse, pig, or human being, there is the "idea horse," "idea pig," and "idea human being." (In the same way, the bakery we spoke of can have gingerbread men, gingerbread horses, and gingerbread pigs. Because every self-respecting bakery has more than one mold. But one mold is enough for each type of gingerbread cookie.)

Plato came to the conclusion that there must be a reality behind the "material world." He called this reality the world of ideas; it contained the eternal and immutable "patterns" behind the various phenomena we come across in nature. This remarkable view is known as Plato's theory of ideas.

True Knowledge

I'm sure you've been following me, Sophie dear. But you may be wondering whether Plato was being serious. Did he really believe that forms like these actually existed in a completely different reality?

He probably didn't believe it literally in the same way for all his life, but in some of his dialogues that is certainly how he means to be understood. Let us try to follow his train of thought.

A philosopher, as we have seen, tries to grasp something that is eternal and immutable. It would serve no purpose, for instance, to write a philosophic treatise on the existence of a particular soap bubble. Partly because one would hardly have time to study it in depth before it burst, and partly because it would probably be rather difficult to find a market for a philosophic treatise on something nobody has ever seen, and which only existed for five seconds.

Plato believed that everything we see around us in nature, everything tangible, can be likened to a soap bubble, since nothing that exists in the world of the senses is lasting. We know, of course, that sooner or later every human being and every animal will die and decompose. Even a block of marble changes and gradually disintegrates. (The Acropolis is falling into ruin, Sophie! It is a scandal, but that's the way it is.) Plato's point is that we can never have true knowledge of anything that is in a constant state of change. We can only have opinions about things that belong to the world of the senses, tangible things. We can only have true knowledge of things that can be understood with our reason.

All right, Sophie, I'll explain it more clearly: a gingerbread man can be so lopsided after all that baking that it can be quite hard to see what it is meant to be. But having seen dozens of gingerbread men that were more or less successful, I can be pretty sure what the cookie mold was like. I can guess, even though I have never seen it. It might not even be an advantage to see the actual mold with my own eyes because we cannot always trust the evidence of our senses. The faculty of vision can vary from person to person. On the other hand, we can rely on what our reason tells us because that is the same for everyone.

If you are sitting in a classroom with thirty other pupils, and the teacher asks the class which color of the rainbow is the prettiest, he will probably get a lot of different answers. But if he asks what 8 times 3 is, the whole class will--we hope--give the same answer. Because now reason is speaking and reason is, in a way, the direct opposite of "thinking so" or "feeling." We could say that reason is eternal and universal precisely because it only expresses eternal and universal states.

Plato found mathematics very absorbing because mathematical states never change. They are therefore states we can have true knowledge of. But here we need an example.

Imagine you find a round pinecone out in the woods. Perhaps you say you "think" it looks completely round, whereas Joanna insists it is a bit flattened on one side. (Then you start arguing about it!) But you cannot have true knowledge of anything you can perceive with your eyes. On the other hand you can say with absolute certainty that the sum of the angles in a circle is 360 degrees. In this case you would be talking about an ideal circle which might not exist in the physical world but which you can clearly visualize. (You are dealing with the hidden gingerbread-man mold and not with the particular cookie on the kitchen table.)

In short, we can only have inexact conceptions of things we perceive with our senses. But we can have true knowledge of things we understand with our reason. The sum of the angles in a triangle will remain 180 degrees to the end of time. And similarly the "idea" horse will walk on four legs even if all the horses in the sensory world break a leg.

An Immortal Soul

As I explained, Plato believed that reality is divided into two regions.

One region is the world of the senses, about which we can only have approximate or incomplete knowledge by using our five (approximate or incomplete) senses. In this sensory world, "everything flows" and nothing is permanent. Nothing in the sensory world is, there are only things that come to be and pass away.

The other region is the world of ideas, about which we can have true knowledge by using our reason. This world of ideas cannot be perceived by the senses, but the ideas (or forms) are eternal and immutable.

According to Plato, man is a dual creature. We have a body that "flows," is inseparably bound to the world of the senses, and is subject to the same fate as everything else in this world--a soap bubble, for example. All our senses are based in the body and are consequently unreliable. But we also have an immortal soul--and this soul is the realm of reason. And not being physical, the soul can survey the world of ideas.

But that's not all, Sophie. IT'S NOT ALL!

Plato also believed that the soul existed before it inhabited the body, (it was lying on a shelf in the closet with all the cookie molds.) But as soon as the soul wakes up in a human body, it has forgotten all the perfect ideas. Then something starts to happen. In fact, a wondrous process begins. As the human being discovers the various forms in the natural world, a vague recollection stirs his soul. He sees a horse--but an imperfect horse. (A gingerbread horse!) The sight of it is sufficient to awaken in the soul a faint recollection of the perfect "horse," which the soul once saw in the world of ideas, and this stirs the soul with a yearning to return to its true realm. Plato calls this yearning eras--which means love. The soul, then, expe-riences a "longing to return to its true origin." From now on, the body and the whole sensory world is experienced as imperfect and insignificant. The soul yearns to fly home on the wings of love to the world of ideas. It longs to be freed from the chains of the body.

Let me quickly emphasize that Plato is describing an ideal course of life, since by no means all humans set the soul free to begin its journey back to the world of ideas. Most people cling to the sensory world's "reflections" of ideas. They see a horse--and another horse. But they never see that of which every horse is only a feeble imitation. (They rush into the kitchen and stuff themselves with gingerbread cookies without so much as a thought as to where they came from.) What Plato describes is the philosophers'way. His philosophy can be read as a description of philosophic practice.

When you see a shadow, Sophie, you will assume that there must be something casting the shadow. You see the shadow of an animal. You think it may be a horse, but you are not quite sure. So you turn around and see the horse itself--which of course is infinitely more beautiful and sharper in outline than the blurred "horse-shadow." Plato believed similarly that all natural phenomena are merely shadows of the eternal forms or ideas. But most people are content with a life among shadows. They give no thought to what is casting the shadows. They think shadows are all there are, never realizing even that they are, in fact, shadows. And thus they pay no heed to the immortality of their own soul.

Out of the Darkness of the Cave

Plato relates a myth which illustrates this. We call it the Myth of the Cave. I'll retell it in my own words.

Imagine some people living in an underground cave. They sit with their backs to the mouth of the cave with their hands and feet bound in such a way that they can only look at the back wall of the cave. Behind them is a high wall, and behind that wall pass human-like creatures, holding up various figures above the top of the wall. Because there is a fire behind these figures, they cast flickering shadows on the back wall of the cave. So the only thing the cave dwellers can see is this shadow play. They have been sitting in this position since they were born, so they think these shadows are all there are.

Imagine now that one of the cave dwellers manages to free himself from his bonds. The first thing he asks himself is where all these shadows on the cave wall come from. What do you think happens when he turns around and sees the figures being held up above the wall? To begin with he is dazzled by the sharp sunlight. He is also dazzled by the clarity of the figures because until now he has only seen their shadow. If he manages to climb over the wall and get past the fire into the world outside, he will be even more dazzled. But after rubbing his eyes he will be struck by the beauty of everything. For the first time he will see colors and clear shapes. He will see the real animals and flowers that the cave shadows were only poor reflections of. But even now he will ask himself where all the animals and flowers come from. Then he will see the sun in the sky, and realize that this is what gives life to these flowers and animals, just as the fire made the shadows visible.

The joyful cave dweller could now have gone skipping away into the countryside, delighting in his new-found freedom. But instead he thinks of all the others who are still down in the cave. He goes back. Once there, he tries to convince the cave dwellers that the shadows on the cave wall are but flickering reflections of "real" things. But they don't believe him. They point to the cave wall and say that what they see is all there is. Finally they kill him.

What Plato was illustrating in the Myth of the Cave is the philosopher's road from shadowy images to the true ideas behind all natural phenomena. He was probably also thinking of Socrates, whom the "cave dwellers" killed because he disturbed their conventional ideas and tried to light the way to true insight. The Myth of the Cave illustrates Socrates' courage and his sense of pedagogic responsibility.

Plato's point was that the relationship between the darkness of the cave and the world beyond corresponds to the relationship between the forms of the natural world and the world of ideas. Not that he meant that the natural world is dark and dreary, but that it is dark and dreary in comparison with the clarity of ideas. A picture of a beautiful landscape is not dark and dreary either. But it is only a picture.

The Philosophic State

The Myth of the Cave is found in Plato's dialogue the Republic. In this dialogue Plato also presents a picture of the "ideal state," that is to say an imaginary, ideal, or what we would call a Utopian, state. Briefly, we could say that Plato believed the state should be governed by philosophers. He bases his explanation of this on the construction of the human body.

According to Plato, the human body is composed of three parts: the head, the chest, and the abdomen. For each of these three parts there is a corresponding faculty of the soul. Reason belongs to the head, will belongs to the chest, and appetite belongs to the abdomen. Each of these soul faculties also has an ideal, or "virtue." Reason aspires to wisdom, Will aspires to courage, and Appetite must be curbed so that temperance can be exercised. Only when the three parts of the body function together as a unity do we get a harmonious or "virtuous" individual. At school, a child must first learn to curb its appetites, then it must develop courage, and finally reason leads to wisdom.

Plato now imagines a state built up exactly like the tripartite human body. Where the body has head, chest, and abdomen, the State has rulers, auxiliaries, and fa-borers (farmers, for example). Here Plato clearly uses Greek medical science as his model. Just as a healthy and harmonious man exercises balance and temperance, so a "virtuous" state is characterized by everyone knowing their place in the overall picture.

Like every aspect of Plato's philosophy, his political philosophy is characterized by rationalism. The creation of a good state depends on its being governed with reason. Just as the head governs the body, so philosophers must rule society.

Let us attempt a simple illustration of the relationship between the three parts of man and the state:

BODY SOUL VIRTUE STATE

head reason wisdom rulers

chest will courage auxiliaries

abdomen appetite temperance laborers

Plato's ideal state is not unlike the old Hindu caste system, in .which each and every person has his or her particular function for the good of the whole. Even before Plato's time the Hindu caste system had the same tripartite division between the auxiliary caste (or priest caste), the warrior caste, and the laborer caste. Nowadays we would perhaps call Plato's state totalitarian. But it is worth noting that he believed women could govern just as effectively as men for the simple reason that the rulers govern by virtue of their reason. Women, he asserted, have exactly the same powers of reasoning as men, provided they get the same training and are exempt from child rearing and housekeeping. In Plato's ideal state, rulers and warriors are not allowed family life or private property. The rearing of children is considered too important to be left to the individual and should be the responsibility of the state. (Plato was the first philosopher to advocate state-organized nursery schools and full-time education.)

After a number of significant political setbacks, Plato wrote the tows, in which he described the "constitutional state" as the next-best state. He now reintroduced both private property and family ties. Women's freedom thus became more restricted. However, he did say that a state that does not educate and train women is like a man who only trains his right arm.

All in all, we can say that Plato had a positive view of women--considering the time he lived in. In the dialogue Symposium, he gives a woman, the legendary priestess Diotima, the honor of having given Socrates his philosophic insight.

So that was Plato, Sophie. His astonishing theories have been discussed--and criticized--for more than two thousand years. The first man to do so was one of the pupils from his own Academy. His name was Aristotle, and he was the third great philosopher from Athens.

I'll say no more!

While Sophie had been reading about Plato, the sun had risen over the woods to the east. It was peeping over the horizon just as she was reading how one man clambered out of the cave and blinked in the dazzling light outside.

It was almost as if she had herself emerged from an underground cave. Sophie felt that she saw nature in a completely different way after reading about Plato. It was rather like having been color-blind. She had seen some shadows but had not seen the clear ideas.

She was not sure Plato was right in everything he had said about the eternal patterns, but it was a beautiful thought that all living things were imperfect copies of the eternal forms in the world of ideas. Because wasn't it true that all flowers, trees, human beings, and animals were "imperfect"?

Everything she saw around her was so beautiful and so alive that Sophie had to rub her eyes to really believe it. But nothing she was looking at now would last. And yet--in a hundred years the same flowers and the same animals would be here again. Even if every single flower and every single animal should fade away and be forgotten, there would be something that "recollected" how it all looked.

Sophie gazed out at the world. Suddenly a squirrel ran up the trunk of a pine tree. It circled the trunk a few times and disappeared into the branches.

"I've seen you before!" thought Sophie. She realized that maybe it was not the same squirrel that she had seen previously, but she had seen the same "form." For all she knew, Plato could have been right. Maybe she really had seen the eternal "squirrel" before--in the world of ideas, before her soul had taken residence in a human body.

Could it be true that she had lived before? Had her soul existed before it got a body to move around in? And was it really true that she carried a little golden nugget inside her--a jewel that cannot be corroded by time, a soul that would live on when her own body grew old and died?
 楼主| 发表于 2019-1-18 11:29:08 | 只看该作者
柏拉图

……回归灵魂世界的渴望……
第二天清早,苏菲猛然惊醒,看一看钟,才刚过五点,但她却已经没有一点睡意了,于是她便在床上坐起来。奇怪,自己为何仍然穿着白天的衣裳呢?然后,她想起了昨天发生的一切。
她爬到凳子上,检查一下柜子的上层。没错,带子还在那里。原来这真的不是一场梦。至少不完全是一场梦。
不过她一定不可能真的见到了柏拉图与苏格拉底……算了,真伤脑筋,她现在已经没有力气再去想它了。也许妈妈说得对,也许她这几天真的有些神经兮兮的。
不管怎样,她是再睡不着了。也许她应该到密洞去,看看那只狗是否曾留下任何信件。
苏菲溜下楼,穿上一双慢跑鞋便出门了。
花园中一切都清朗宁静美好。鸟儿们唱得如此起劲,使苏菲忍不住想笑。草叶上的朝露宛如水晶一般闪闪发光。
这世界如此美好,令人不可思议。苏菲再一次深深受到感动。
老树篱内非常潮湿。苏菲没有看到哲学家的来信,不过她还是掸了掸一截粗大的树根,坐了下来。
她想起录影带上的柏拉图曾经要她回答一些问题。第一个问 题是面包师傅如何做出五十个一模一样的饼干。
苏菲暗忖,她得仔细想一想才行,因为这个问题一定不简单。
妈妈偶尔也会做一些饼干,但从来没有一次饼干形状完全相同。不过话说回来,妈妈不是专业的面包师傅,有时厨房甚至乱得像被炸弹轰炸过一样。即使是店里卖的饼干也从来没有完全一样的,每一块饼干在制饼师傅手中都捏成不同的样子。
此时,苏菲脸上浮现满意的笑容。她记得有一回妈妈忙着烤圣诞节的饼干,因此她和爸爸一起去买东西。他们回到家后看到厨房的桌子上散放了许多姜饼人。这些姜饼人虽然不很完美,但就某一方面来说,却都是一模一样的。为什么会这样呢?显然是由于妈妈做这些姜饼人时用了同一个模子的缘故。
想到自己居然记得这件小事,苏菲很是得意。因此她想这第一个问题应该已经答完了。
如果一个饼干师傅做了五十个完全一模一样的饼干,他一定是用了同样一副饼干模子。很简单,就是这样。
录影带上的柏拉图问的第二个问题是:为何所有的马都一样?
可是,事实并非如此啊j相反的,苏菲认为没有两匹马是完全相同的,就像没有两个人是一模一样的。
苏菲正要放弃这个问题时,突然想到她刚才对饼干的看法。事
实上,也没有两块饼干是一模一样的,有些比较厚,有些比较薄,有些碎了。然而,每个人都可以看出这些饼干就某一方面来说是“一模一样”的。
也许柏拉图问的是为何马一直是马,而不会变成一种既像马又像猪的动物。因为,虽然有些马像熊一样是棕色的,有些则白得像绵羊,但所有的马都有一些共同点。举例来说,苏菲就从没有见过六条腿或八条腿的马。
但柏拉图不可能相信所有的马之所以相同,是因为他们是用同一个模子做成的吧?
然后柏拉图又问了她一个很深、很难的问题:人有没有不朽的灵魂?
苏菲觉得自己不太够资格回答这个问题。她只知道人死后,人体不是火葬就是土葬,因此实在没有未来可言。如果人有一个不朽的灵魂,那我们就必须相信一个人是由两个不同的部分组成的一个是用了多年之后就会老旧、损坏的躯体,还有一个是无论身体情况如何,仍然多少可以独立作业的灵魂。苏菲的奶奶曾经说过,她觉得变老的只是自己的身体而已,在内心她一直都还是一个年轻的女孩。
想到“年轻女孩”,苏菲就想到最后
有理性吗?对于这点,她可不敢确定。
“性”是什么。
—个问题:女人和男人一样
这要看柏拉图所谓的“理
哲学老师在谈论苏格拉底时所说的一些话突然浮现在苏菲的脑海中。苏格拉底曾经指出,每一个人只要运用自己的常识,都可以了解哲学的真理。他也曾说奴隶与贵族一样有常识。因此苏菲肯定他也会说女人和男人一样有常识。
当她正坐在那儿想着这些问题时,突然听到树篱里有沙沙的声音以及类似蒸汽引擎“噗!噗!”喷气的声音。下一秒钟,一条金色的狗已经钻进了密洞,嘴里衔着一个大信封。
“汉密士!”苏菲叫它,“丢下来,丢下来!”
狗儿把信放在苏菲的怀中。苏菲伸出手摸摸它的头“你真乖。”她说。
狗儿躺下来任由苏菲抚摸。但过了两三分钟,它就站了起来,钻过树篱由原路回去。苏菲手拿棕色的信封跟着它,爬过浓密的枝叶,不一会就出了花园。
汉密士已经开始向树林的边缘跑去了。苏菲在后头跟了几码路,狗儿两次转过身来对她吠叫,但苏菲一点也不害怕。
这次她决心要找到那个哲学家,即使必须一路跑到雅典也在所不惜。狗儿愈跑愈快,然后突然跑到一条窄的小路上。苏菲紧迫不舍,但几分钟后狗儿转过身来面对着她,像看门狗一样的吠叫。
苏菲仍然不肯放弃,趁机会拉近他们之间的距离。
汉密士一转身,向前飞奔。苏菲发现自己永远不可能迫得上。
于是她停下来,在那儿站了好久好久,听到它愈跑愈远,而后一切复归寂静。
她在林中空地旁的一截树木残桩上坐下,手里仍拿着那个棕色的信封。她把它拆开,拿出几页打着字的信纸,开始看信:
柏拉图学院
苏菲,谢谢你与我共度一段愉快的时光。我是指我们在雅典的时候。现在我至少已经算是做过自我介绍了。还有,既然我也向你介绍了柏拉图,因此我们还是开门见山地谈他吧。
苏格拉底服毒而死时,柏拉图(公元前四二七~公元前三四七年)才二十九岁。当时他受教于苏格拉底门下已经有一段时间。他密切注意苏格拉底受审的经过。当他看到雅典人民居然将他们当中最高贵的人判处死刑时,内心非常震动。这件事影响了他后来的哲学生涯。
对柏拉图而言,苏格拉底之死证明了当今社会与理想社会之间的冲突。柏拉图成为哲学家后所做的第一件事就是将苏格拉底对陪审团的陈情内容出版成《自辩》(Apo1ogy)一书。
你也许还记得,苏格拉底从未留下任何丈字。至于苏格拉底之前的哲学家虽然有许多人曾著书立说,但他们的文字到现在却几乎都荡然无存。至于柏拉图,我们相信他所有的重要著作应该都已经保存下来了。除了苏格拉底的《自辩》之外,柏拉图也写了好些书信与至少三十五篇哲学对话录。这些作品之所以能留存至今,一部分是因为柏拉图在距雅典不远之处的一个树林中创立了一个哲学学校,并以传奇中的希腊英雄阿卡戴慕士(ACademus)为名。因此这个学校被称为“学园”或“学院”(Academy)(从此以后全世界各 地成立了成千上万所学院,以后我们会谈到有关“学院”与“学科”的问题)。
柏拉图学园中教授的科目包括哲学、数学与体育。不过,说“教授”其实不太正确,因为柏拉图学园也是采取活泼的对话方式上课,因此柏拉图之所以采用对话录的形式来写作并非偶然。

永远的真善美

在这堂课的序言中,我曾经提到一个人可以不时问问自己某 一个哲学家研究什么课题。因此我现在要问:柏拉图关心的是哪些问题?
简单地说,我们可以断定柏拉图关心的是永恒不变的事物与“流动”事物之间的关系(就像苏格拉底之前的哲学家一样)。我们已经谈过诡辩论学派与苏格拉底如何将他们的注意力由有关自然哲学的问题转到与人和社会的问题。然而从某个角度来看,就连苏格拉底与诡辩学派也都关心永恒不变的事物与“流动”事物之间的关系。他们之所以对这个问题感兴趣,乃是由于它与人类道德与社会理想及美德之间的关系。简而言之,诡辩学家认为每一个城邦、每一个世代对于是非的观念各不相同。因此是非的观念是“流动”的。苏格拉底则完全不能接受这种说法,他认为世间有所谓永恒、绝对的是非观念存在。我们只要运用自己的常识便可以悟出这些不变的标准,因为人类的理智事实上是永恒不变的。
你明白吗?苏菲。后来,柏拉图出现了。他既关心自然界中永恒不变的事物,也关心与人类道德及社会有关的永恒不变的事物。
对于柏拉图而言,这两个问题是一体的两面。他试图掌握有关个人永恒不变的“真理”。
坦白说,这正是世间为何要有哲学家的原因。我们需要哲学家,不是因为他们可以为我们选拔美皇后或告诉我们今天番茄最低价。(这是他们为何经常不受欢迎的原因㈠哲学家们总是试图避开这类没有永恒价值的热门话题,而努力将人们的的注意力吸引到永远“真”、永远“善”、永远“美”的事物上。
明白了这点,我们才可以开始略微了解柏拉图课题的大概内容,不过还是让我们一样一样来吧。我们将试着了解一个不凡的心灵、一个对后来所有欧洲哲学有着深远影响的心灵。

理型的世界

恩培窦可里斯与德谟克里特斯两人都提醒世人:尽管自然界的所有事物都是“流动”的,但世间一定仍有“某些东西”永远不会改变(如“四根”或“原子”)。柏拉图也同意这个命题,但他的方式却大不相同。
柏拉图认为,自然界中有形的东西是“流动”的,所以世间才没有不会分解的“物质”。属于“物质世界”的每一样东西必然是由某种物质做成。这种物质会受时间侵蚀,但做成这些东西的“模子”或“形式”却是永恒不变的。
你了解了吗?苏菲。不,我想你还不了解。
为何全天下的马儿都一样?你也许不认为它们是一样的,但有些特质是所有的马儿都具备的,这些特质使得我们可以认出它们是马。当然个别的马是“流动”的,因为它会老、会瘸,时间到了甚至会死。但马的“形式”却是永恒不变的。
因此,对柏拉图而言,永恒不变的东西并非一种“基本物质”,而是形成各种事物模样的精神模式或抽象模式。
我们这么说吧:苏格拉底之前的哲学家对于自然界的变化提出了相当不错的解释。他们指出,自然界的事物事实上并未“改变”,因为在大自然的各种变化中,有一些永恒不变的最小单位是不会分解的。他们的说法固然不错,但是,苏菲,他们并未对为何这些原本可能组成一匹马“最小单位”突然会在四五百年后突然又聚在一起,组成另外一批新的马(或大象或鳄鱼)提出合理的解释。柏拉图的看法是:这些德谟克里特斯所说的原子只会变成大象或鳄鱼,而绝不会成为“象鳄”或“鳄象”。这是他的哲学思想的特色。如果你已经了解我所要说的,你可以跳过这一段。不过为了保险起见,我要再补充说明一下:假如你有一盒积木,并用这些积木造了一匹马。完工后,你把马拆开,将积木放回盒内。你不可能光是把盒子摇一摇就造出另外一匹马。这些积木怎么可能会自动找到彼此,并再度组成一匹新的马呢?不,这是不可能的。你必须重新再组合过。而你之所以能够这样做,是因为你心中已经有了一幅马的图像,你所参考的模型适用于所有的马匹。
关于五十块一模一样饼干的问题,你回答得如何呢?让我们假设你是从外大空来的,从来没有见过一位面包师傅。有一天你无意间走进一家香气扑鼻的面包店,看到架子上有五十个一模一样的姜饼人。我想你大概会搔搔头,奇怪它们怎么看起来都一个样子。
事实上这些姜饼人可能有的少了一双胳臂,有的头上缺了一角,有的则是肚子上很滑稽的隆起了一块。不过你仔细想过之后,还是认为这些姜饼人都有一些共同点。虽然这些姜饼人没有一个是完美的,但你仍会怀疑它们是出自同一双手的杰作。你会发现这些饼干全部都是用同一个模子做出来的。更重要的是,苏菲,你现在开始有一股不可抗拒的念头,想要看看这个模子。因为很明显的,这个模子本身一定是绝对完美的,而从某个角度来看,它比起这些粗糙的副本来,也会更美丽。
如果你是完全靠自己的思考解答了这个问题,那么你回答这个哲学问题的方法就跟柏拉图完全一样。
就像大多数哲学家一般,他也是“从外太空来的”(他站在兔子毛皮中一根细毛的最顶端)。他看到所有的自然现象都如此类似,觉得非常惊讶,而他认为这一定是因为我们周遭事物的“背后”有一些特定的形式的缘故。柏拉图称这些形式为“理型”或观念。在每一匹马、每一只猪或每一个人的后面,都有一个“理型马”、“理型猪”或“理型人”。(同样的,刚才我们说的面包店也可能会有姜饼人、姜饼马或姜饼猪,因为每一家比较有规模的面包店都会做一种以上的姜饼模子。但一个模子已够做许许多多同样形状的姜饼了。)
柏拉图因此得出一个结论:在“物质世界的背后,必定有一个实在存在。他称这个实在为‘理型的世界’,其中包含存在于自然界各种现象背后、永恒不变的模式。”这种独树一格的观点我们称之为“柏拉图的理型论”。

真正的知识

亲爱的苏菲,到目前为止我所说的话你一定可以了解。不过你
也许会问,柏拉图是认真的吗?他真的相信类似这样的形式的确存在于一个完全不同的世界中吗?
他也许并不是终其一生都保持这种看法,但在他部分对话录中他的意思无疑就是这样。让我们试着追随他思想的脉络。
就像我们看到的,哲学家努力掌握一些永恒不变的事物。举例来说,如果我要你就“某个肥皂泡的存在”这个题目来撰写一篇哲学论文,这就没有什么意义了。原因之一是:往往在我们还没来得及深入研究之前,肥皂泡就破了。原因之二是:这个肥皂泡没有别人看过,并且仅存在五秒钟,这样的哲学论文可能很难找到市场。
柏拉图认为我们在周遭的自然界中所看到的一切具体事物,都可以比做是一个肥皂泡泡,因为没有一件存在于感官世界的东西是永远不变的。我们知道每一个人、每一只动物迟早会死,而且会腐烂分解。即使一决大理石也会发生变化,逐渐分解。(希腊的高城目前正逐渐倒塌,这真是非常糟糕的事,但也没有办法。)柏拉 图的观点是:我们对于那些不断改变的事物不可能会有真正的认识。我们对于那些属于感官世界的具体事物只能有意见或看法。我们能够真正认识的,只有那些我们可以运用理智来了解的事物。
好,苏菲,我再解释得更清楚一些:经过烘烤后,有的姜饼人可能会不成形状。不过在看了几百个像与不像的姜饼人之后,我可以非常确定姜饼人的模型是什么样子。虽然我未曾见过它的模样,但也可以猜到。甚至可以说,即使我们亲眼见过那个模子也不见得会更好,因为我们并不一定信任我们的感官所察知的事物。视觉能力因人而异,但我们却能信赖我们的理智告诉我们的事物,因为理智是人人相同的。
如果你和三十个同学一起坐在教室内。老师问全班学生彩虹里的哪一种颜色最漂亮,他也许会得到很多不同的答案。但如果他问8乘3是多少,全班大概都会提出相同的答案。因为这时理性正在发言,而理性可说是“想法”或“感觉”的相反。正因为理性只表达永恒不变、宇宙共通的事物,因此我们可以说理性永恒不变,而且是宇宙共通的。
柏拉图认为数学是非常吸引人的学科,因为数学的状态永远不会改变,因此也是人可以真正了解的状态。这里让我们来举一个 例子。
假设你在树林间捡到一个圆形的松果,也许你会说你“认为”这个松果是圆的,而乔安则坚持它一边有点扁。(然后你们两个就开始为这件事拌嘴!)所以说,我们人类是无法真正了解我们肉眼所见的事物的,但是我们却可以百分之百确定,一个圆形内所有的角度加起来一定是三六O度。我们这里所说的是一个理想的圆形,也许这个圆形在物质世界中并不存在,不过我们仍然可以很清楚地想象出来。(这个圆形就像那个看不见的姜饼人模子,而不是放在厨房桌上的那些姜饼人。)
简而言之,我们对于感官所感受到的事物,只能有模糊、不精确的观念,但是我们却能够真正了解我们用理智所理解的事物。三角形内的各内角总和一定是一八O度,这是亘古不变的。而同样的,即使感官世界中所有的马都瘸了,“理型”马还会是四肢健全的。

不朽的灵魂

我们已经见到柏拉图如何认为实在世界可以分为两个领域。
其中一个是感官世界。我们只能用我们五种并不精确的官能来约略认识这个世界。在这个世界中,“每一件事物都会流动”,而且没有一个是永久不变的。这里面存在的都是一些生生灭灭的事物。
另外一个领域则是理型的世界。我们可以用理性来确实认识这个世界。我们无法用感官来察知这个理型的世界,但这些理型(或形式)是永恒不变的。
根据柏拉图的说法,人是一种具有双重性质的生物。我们的身体是“流动”的,与感官的世界不可分割,并且其命运与世界上其他每一件事物(如肥皂泡)都相同。我们所有的感官都是以身体为基础,因此是不可靠的。但我们同时也有一个不朽的灵魂,而这个灵魂则是理性的天下。由于灵魂不是物质,因此可以探索理型的世界。
苏菲,柏拉图的学说差不多就是这样了,但这并不是全部。这并不是全部!
柏拉图同时认为,灵魂栖居在躯体内之前,原本就已经存在(它和所有的饼干模子一起躺在橱柜的上层)。然而一旦灵魂在某 一具躯体内醒来时,它便忘了所有的完美的理型。然后,一个奇妙的过程展开了。当人类发现自然界各种不同的形式时,某些模糊的回忆便开始扰动他的灵魂。他看到了一匹马,然而是一匹不完美的马。(一匹姜饼马!)灵魂一看到这匹马,便依稀想起它在理型世界中所见过的完美“马”,同时涌起一股回到它本来领域的渴望。柏拉图称这种渴望为eros,也就是“爱”的意思。此时,灵魂体验到“一种回归本源的欲望”。从此以后.,肉体与整个感官世界对它而言,都是不完美而且微不足道的。灵魂渴望乘着爱的翅膀回“家”,回到理型的世界。它渴望从“肉体的枷锁”中挣脱。
我要强调的是,柏拉图在这里描述的,是一个理想中的生命历程,因为并非所有人都会释放自己的灵魂,让它踏上回到理型世界的旅程。大多数人都紧抱完美理型在感官世界中的“倒影”不放。他们看见一匹又一匹的马,却从未见到这些马所据以产生的“完美马”的形象。(他们只是冲进厨房,拿了姜饼人就吃,也不想一想这些姜饼人是打哪里来的。)柏拉图描述的是哲学家面对事物的方式。他的哲学可以说是对哲学性做法的一种描述。
苏菲,当你看到一个影子时,一定会假定有一样东西投射出这个影子。你看到一只动物的影子,心想那可能是一匹马,但你也不太确定。于是你就转过身来,瞧瞧这匹马。而比起那模糊的影子,这匹马当然显得更俊秀,轮廓也更清晰。同样的,柏拉图也相信,自然界所有的现象都只是永恒形式或理型的影子。但大多数人活在影子之间就已经感到心满意足。他们从不去思考是什么东西投射出这些影子。他们认为世间就只有影子,甚至从不曾认清世间万物都只是影子,也因此他们对于自身灵魂不朽的物质从不在意。

走出黑暗的洞穴

柏拉图用一个神话故事来说明这点。我们称之为“洞穴神话”。
现在就让我用自己的话再说一次这个故事。
假设有些人住在地下的洞穴中。他们背向洞口,坐在地上,手脚都被绑着,因此他们只能看到洞穴的后壁。在他们的身后是一堵高墙,墙后面有一些人形的生物走过,手中举着各种不同形状的人偶,由于人偶高过墙头,同时墙与洞穴间还有一把火炬,因此它们在洞穴的后壁上投下明明灭灭的影子。在这种情况下,穴中居民所看到的唯一事物就是这种“皮影戏”。他们自出生以来就像这样坐着,因此他们认为世间唯一存在的便只有这些影子了。
再假设有一个穴居人设法挣脱了他的锁链。他问自己的第一
个问题便是:洞壁上的这些影子从何而来?你想:如果他一转身,看到墙头上高举着的人偶时,会有何反应?首先,强烈的火光会照得他睁不开眼睛,人偶的鲜明形状也会使他大感惊讶,因为他过去看到的都只是这些人偶的影子而已。如果他想办法爬过墙,越过火炬,进入外面的世界,他会更加惊讶。在揉揉眼睛后,他会深受万物之美的感动。这是他生平第一次看到色彩与清楚的形体。他看到了真正的动物与花朵,而不是洞穴里那些贫乏的影子。不过即使到了现在,他仍会问自己这些动物与花朵从何而来?然后他会看到天
空中的大阳,并悟出这就是将生命赋予那些花朵与动物的源头,就像火光造就出影子一般。
这个穴居人如获至宝。他原本大可以从此奔向乡间,为自己新 获的自由而欢欣雀跃,但他却想到那些仍然留在洞里的人,于是他回到洞中,试图说服其他的穴居人,使他们相信洞壁上那些影子只不过是“真实”事物的闪烁影像罢了。然而他们不相信他,并指着洞壁说除了他们所见的影子之外,世间再也没有其他事物了。最后,他们把那个人杀了。
柏拉图借着这个洞穴神话,想要说明哲学家是如何从影子般的影像出发,追寻自然界所有现象背后的真实概念。这当中,他也许曾想到苏格拉底,因为后者同样是因为推翻了“穴居人”传统的观念。并试图照亮他们追寻真知的道路而遭到杀害。这个神话说
明了苏格拉底的勇气与他的为人导师的责任感。
柏拉图想说的是:黑暗洞穴与外在世界的关系就像是自然世界的形式与理型世界的关系。他的意思并非说大自然是黑暗、无趣的,而是说,比起鲜明清楚的理型世界来,它就显得黑暗而平淡。同样的,一张漂亮女孩的照片也不是单调无趣的,但再怎么说它也只是一张照片而已。

哲学之国

洞穴神话记载于柏拉图的对话录《理想国》(TheReublic)中。
柏拉图在这本书中也描述了“理想国”的面貌。所谓“理想国”就是一个虚构的理想的国度,也就是我们所称的“乌托邦”。简而言之,
我们可以说柏拉图认为这个国度应该由哲学家来治理。他用人体的构造来解释这个概念。
根据柏拉图的说法,人体由三部分构成,分别是头、胸、腹。人的灵魂也相对的具有三种能力。“理性”属于头部的能力,“意志”属于胸部,“欲望”则属于腹部。这些能力各自有其理想,也就是“美德”。理性追求智慧,意志追求勇气,欲望则必须加以遏阻,以做到“自制”。唯有人体的这三部分协调运作时,个人才会达到“和谐”或“美德”的境界。在学校时,儿童首先必须学习如何克制自己的欲望,而后再培养自己的勇气,最后运用理性来达到智慧。
在柏拉图的构想中,一个国家应该像人体一般,由三个部分组成。就像人有头、胸、腹一般,一个国家也应该有统治者、战士与工匠(如农夫)。此处柏拉图显然是参考希腊医学的说法。正如一个健康和谐的人懂得平衡与节制一般,一个“有德”之国的特色是,每一位国民都明白自己在整个国家中扮演的角色。
柏拉图的政治哲学与他在其他方面的哲学一般,是以理性主义为特色。国家要能上轨道,必须以理性来统治。就像人体由头部来掌管一般,社会也必须由哲学家来治理。
现在让我们简单说明人体三部分与国家之间的关系:
身体 灵魂 美德 国家
头部 理性 智慧 统治者
胸部 意志 勇气 战士
腹部 欲望 自制 工匠
柏拉图的理想国有点类似印度的阶级世袭制度,每一个人在社会上都有其特殊的功能,以满足社会整体的需求。事实上,早在柏拉图降生以前,印度的社会便已分成统治阶级(或僧侣阶级)、战士阶级与劳动阶级这三个社会族群。对于现代人而言,柏拉图的理想国可算是极权国家。但有一点值得一提的是:他相信女人也能和男人一样有效治理国家,理由很简单:统治者是以理性来治国,而柏拉图认为女人只要受到和男人一样的训练,而且毋需生育、持家的话,也会拥有和男人不相上下的理性思考能力。在柏拉图的理想国中,统治者与战士都不能享受家庭生活,也不许拥有私人的财产。同时,由于养育孩童的责任极为重大,因此不可由个人从事,而必须由政府来负责(柏拉图是第一位主张成立公立育儿所和推展全时教育的哲学家)。
在遭遇若干次重大的政治挫败后,柏拉图撰写了《律法》(ThelaWS)这本对话录。他在书中描述“宪法国家”,并认为这是仅次于理想国的最好国家。这次他认为在上位者可以拥有个人财产与家庭生活,也因此妇女的自由较受限制。但无论如何,他说一个国家若不教育并训练其女性国民,就好像一个人只锻炼右臂,而不锻炼左臂一般。
总而言之,我们可以说,就他那个时代而言,柏拉图对妇女的看法可算是相当肯定。他在《飨宴》(Symposium)对话录中指出,苏格拉底的哲学见解一部分得自于一个名叫黛娥缇玛(Diotima)的女祭司。这对妇女而言可算是一大荣耀了。
柏拉图的学说大致就是这样了。两千多年来,他这些令人惊异的理论不断受人议论与批评,而第一个讨论、批评他的人乃是他园内的一名学生,名叫亚理斯多德,是雅典第三位大哲学家。
好了,今天就到此为止吧!
苏菲坐在虬结的树根上读着柏拉图的学说,不知不觉太阳已经升到东边的树林上。当她读到那个人如何爬出洞穴,被外面闪耀的阳光照得睁不开眼睛时,太阳正在地平线上露出顶端,向大地窥望。
苏菲感觉自己仿佛也刚从地下洞穴出来一般。在读了柏拉图的学说后,她对大自然的看法已经完全改观。那种感觉就好像她从前一直是色盲,并且只看到一些影子,从没见过清楚的概念。
她并不确定柏拉图所谓永恒范式的说法是否都对,但“每一种生物都是理型世界中永恒形体的不完美复制品”,这种想法多美妙啊!世上所有花、树、人与动物不都是“不够完美”的吗?
苏菲周遭所见的事物在在如此美丽、如此生气盎然,以至于她不得不揉揉眼睛才能相信这些都是真的。不过,她现在眼见的事物没有一样会永远存在。但话说回来,在一百年之后,同样的一些花朵和动物仍然会在这里。虽然每一朵花、每一只动物都会凋萎、死去,而且被世人遗忘,但却有某种东西会“记得”它们从前的模样。
苏菲向远处望去。突然间一只松鼠爬上了一棵松树,沿着树干绕了几圈,然后就消失在枝桠间。
苏菲心想:“我看过这只松鼠!”然后又悟到也许这只松鼠并非她从前看到的那只,但她看过同样的“形式”。在她看来,柏拉图可能说得没错。也许她过去真的见过永恒的“松鼠”——在理型世界中,在她的灵魂还没有栖息在她的身体之前。
有没有可能苏菲从前曾经活过呢?她的灵魂在找到身体寄宿之前是否就已经存在?她的身体内是不是真的有一个小小的金色物体,一个不受光阴侵蚀的宝物,一个在她的肉身衰朽之后仍然活着的灵魂?
 楼主| 发表于 2019-1-19 11:41:02 | 只看该作者
The Major's Cabin

... the girl in the mirror winked with both eyes

It was only a quarter past seven. There was no need to hurry home. Sophie's mother always took it easy on Sundays, so she would probably sleep for another two hours.

Should she go a bit farther into the woods and try to find Alberto Knox? And why had the dog snarled at her so viciously?

Sophie got up and began to walk down the path Hermes had taken. She had the brown envelope with the pages on Plato in her hand. Wherever the path diverged she took the wider one.

Birds were chirping everywhere--in the trees and in the air, in bush and thicket. They were busily occupied with their morning pursuits. They knew no difference between weekdays and Sundays. Who had taught them to do all that? Was there a tiny computer inside each one of them, programming them to do certain things?

The path led up over a little hill, then steeply down between tall pine trees. The woods were so dense now that she could only see a few yards between the trees.

Suddenly she caught sight of something glittering between the pine trunks. It must be a little lake. The path went the other way but Sophie picked her way among the trees. Without really knowing why, she let her feet lead her.

The lake was no bigger than a soccer field. Over on the other side she could see a red-painted cabin in a small clearing surrounded by silver birches. A faint wisp of smoke was rising from the chimney.

Sophie went down to the water's edge. It was very muddy in many places, but then she noticed a rowboat. It was drawn halfway out of the water. There was a pair of oars in it.

Sophie looked around. Whatever she did, it would be impossible to get around the lake to the red cabin without getting her shoes soaked. She went resolutely over to the boat and pushed it into the water. Then she climbed aboard, set the oars in the rowlocks, and rowed across the lake. The boat soon touched the opposite bank. Sophie went ashore and tried to pull the boat up after her. The bank was much steeper here than the opposite bank had been.

She glanced over her shoulder only once before walking up toward the cabin.

She was quite startled at her own boldness. How did she dare do this? She had no idea. It was as if "something" impelled her.

Sophie went up to the door and knocked. She waited a while but nobody answered. She tried the handle cautiously, and the door opened.

"Hallo!" she called. "Is anyone at home?"

She went in and found herself in a living room. She dared not shut the door behind her.

Somebody was obviously living here. Sophie could hear wood crackling in the old stove. Someone had been here very recently.

On a big dining table stood a typewriter, some books, a couple of pencils, and a pile of paper. A smaller table and two chairs stood by the window that overlooked the lake. Apart from that there was very little furniture, although the whole of one wall was lined with book-shelves filled with books. Above a white chest of drawers hung a large round mirror in a heavy brass frame. It looked very old.

On one of the walls hung two pictures. One was an oil painting of a white house which lay a stone's throw from a little bay with a red boathouse. Between the house and the boathouse was a sloping garden with an apple tree, a few thick bushes, and some rocks. A dense fringe of birch trees framed the garden like a garland. The title of the painting was "Bjerkely."

Beside that painting hung an old portrait of a man sitting in a chair by a window. He had a book in his lap. This picture also had a little bay with trees and rocks in the background. It looked as though it had been painted several hundred years ago. The title of the picture was "Berkeley." The painter's name was Smibert.

Berkeley and Bjerkely. How strange!

Sophie continued her investigation. A door led from the living room to a small kitchen. Someone had just done the dishes. Plates and glasses were piled on a tea towel, some of them still glistening with drops of soapy water. There was a tin bowl on the floor with some leftover scraps of food in it. Whoever lived here had a pet, a dog or a cat.

Sophie went back to the living room. Another door led to a tiny bedroom. On the floor next to the bed there were a couple of blankets in a thick bundle. Sophie discovered some golden hairs on the blankets. Here was the evidence! Now Sophie knew that the occupants of the cabin were Alberto Knox and Hermes.

Back in the living room, Sophie stood in front of the mirror. The glass was matte and scratched, and her reflection correspondingly blurred. Sophie began to make faces at herself like she did at home in the bathroom. Her reflection did exactly the same, which was only to be expected.

But all of a sudden something scary happened. Just once--in the space of a split second--Sophie saw quite clearly that the girl in the mirror winked with both eyes. Sophie started back in fright. If she herself had winked--how could she have seen the other girl wink? And not only that, it seemed as though the other girl had winked at Sophie as if to say: I can see you, Sophie. I am in here, on the other side.

Sophie felt her heart beating, and at the same time she heard a dog barking in the distance. Hermes! She had to get out of here at once. Then she noticed a green wallet on the chest of drawers under the mirror. It contained a hundred-crown note, a fifty, and a school I.D. card. It showed a picture of a girl with fair hair. Under the picture was the girl's name: Hilde Moller Knag ...

Sophie shivered. Again she heard the dog bark. She had to get out, at once!

As she hurried past the table she noticed a white envelope between all the books and the pile of paper. It had one word written on it: SOPHIE.

Before she had time to realize what she was doing, she grabbed the envelope and stuffed it into the brown envelope with the Plato pages. Then she rushed out of the door and slammed it behind her.

The barking was getting closer. But worst of all was that the boat was gone. After a second or two she saw it, adrift halfway across the lake. One of the oars was floating beside it. All because she hadn't been able to pull it completely up on land. She heard the dog barking quite nearby now and saw movements between the trees on the other side of the lake.

Sophie didn't hesitate any longer. With the big envelope in her hand, she plunged into the bushes behind the cabin. Soon she was having to wade through marshy ground, sinking in several times to well above her ankles. But she had to keep going. She had to get home.

Presently she stumbled onto a path. Was it the path she had taken earlier? She stopped to wring out her dress. And then she began to cry.

How could she have been so stupid? The worst of all was the boat. She couldn't forget the sight of the row-boat with the one oar drifting helplessly on the lake. It was all so embarrassing, so shameful. . .

The philosophy teacher had probably reached the lake by now. He would need the boat to get home. Sophie felt almost like a criminal. But she hadn't done it on purpose.

The envelope! That was probably even worse. Why had she taken it? Because her name was on it, of course, so in a way it was hers. But even so, she felt like a thief. And what's more, she had provided the evidence that it was she who had been there.

Sophie drew the note out of the envelope. It said:

What came first--the chicken or the "idea" chicken ?

Are we born with innate "ideas"? What is the difference between a plant, an animal, and a human? Why does it rain? What does it take to live a good life?

Sophie couldn't possibly think about these questions right now, but she assumed they had something to do with the next philosopher. Wasn't he called Aristotle?

When she finally saw the hedge after running so far through the woods it was like swimming ashore after a shipwreck. The hedge looked funny from the other side.

She didn't look at her watch until she had crawled into the den. It was ten-thirty. She put the big envelope into the biscuit tin with the other papers and stuffed the note with the new questions down her tights.

Her mother was on the telephone when she came in. When she saw Sophie she hung up quickly.

"Where on earth have you been?"

"I... went for a walk ... in the woods," she stammered.

"So I see."

Sophie stood silently, watching the water dripping from her dress.

"I called Joanna..."

"Joanna?"

Her mother brought her some dry clothes. Sophie only just managed to hide the philosopher's note. Then they sat together in the kitchen, and her mother made some hot chocolate.

"Were you with him?" she asked after a while.

"Him?"

Sophie could only think about her philosophy teacher.

"With him, yes. Him.... your rabbit!"

Sophie shook her head.

"What do you do when you're together, Sophie? Why are you so wet?"

Sophie sat staring gravely at the table. But deep down inside she was laughing. Poor Mom, now she had that to worry about.

She shook her head again. Then more questions came raining down on her.

"Now I want the truth. Were you out all night? Why did you go to bed with your clothes on? Did you sneak out as soon as I had gone to bed? You're only fourteen, Sophie. I demand to know who you are seeing!"

Sophie started to cry. Then she talked. She was still frightened, and when you are frightened you usually talk.

She explained that she had woken up very early and had gone for a walk in the woods. She told her mother about the cabin and the boat, and about the mysterious mirror. But she mentioned nothing about the secret correspondence course. Neither did she mention the green wallet. She didn't quite know why, but she had to keep Hilde for herself.

Her mother put her arms around Sophie, and Sophie knew that her mother believed her now.

"I don't have a boyfriend," Sophie sniffed. "It was just something I said because you were so upset about the white rabbit."

"And you really went all the way to the major's cabin ..." said her mother thoughtfully.

"The major's cabin?" Sophie stared at her mother.

"The little woodland cabin is called the major's cabin because some years ago an army major lived there for a time. He was rather eccentric, a little crazy, I think. But never mind that. Since then the cabin has been unoccupied."

"But it isn't! There's a philosopher living there now."

"Oh stop, don't start fantasizing again!"

Sophie stayed in her room, thinking about what had happened. Her head felt like a roaring circus full of lumbering elephants, silly clowns, daring trapeze flyers, and trained monkeys. But one image recurred unceasingly-- a small rowboat with one oar drifting in a lake deep in the woods--and someone needing the boat to get home.

She felt sure that the philosophy teacher didn't wish her any harm, and would certainly forgive her if he knew she had been to his cabin. But she had broken an agreement. That was all the thanks he got for taking on her philosophic education. How could she make up for it? Sophie took out her pink notepaper and began to write:

Dear Philosopher, It was me who was in your cabin early Sunday morning. I wanted so much to meet you and discuss some of the philosophic problems. For the moment I am a Plato fan, but I am not so sure he was right about ideas or pattern pictures existing in another reality. Of course they exist in our souls, but I think--for the moment anyway-- that this is a different thing. I have to admit too that I am not altogether convinced of the immortality of the soul. Personally, I have no recollections from my former lives. If you could convince me that my deceased grandmother's soul is happy in the world of ideas, I would be most grateful.

Actually, it was not for philosophic reasons that I started to write this letter (which I shall put in a pink envelope with a lump of sugar). I just wanted to say I was sorry for being disobedient. I tried to pull the boat completely up on shore but I was obviously not strong enough. Or perhaps a big wave dragged the boat out again.

I hope you managed to get home without getting your feet wet. If not, it might comfort you to know that I got soaked and will probably have a terrible cold. But that'll be my own fault.

I didn't touch anything in the cabin, but I am sorry to say that I couldn't resist the temptation to take the envelope that was on the table. It wasn't because I wanted to steal anything, but as my name was on it, I thought in my confusion that it belonged to me. I am really and truly sorry, and I promise never to disappoint you again.

P.S. I will think all the new questions through very carefully, starting now.

P.P.S. Is the mirror with the brass frame above the white chest of drawers an ordinary mirror or a magic mirror? I'm only asking because I am not used to seeing my own reflection wink with both eyes.

With regards from your sincerely interested pupil, SOPHIE

Sophie read the letter through twice before she put it in the envelope. She thought it was less formal than the previous letter she had written. Before she went downstairs to the kitchen to get a lump of sugar she looked at the note with the day's questions:

"What came first--the chicken or the "idea" chicken?

This question was just as tricky as the old riddle of the chicken and the egg. There would be no chicken without the egg, and no egg without the chicken. Was it really just as complicated to figure out whether the chicken or the "idea" chicken came first? Sophie understood what Plato meant. He meant that the "idea" chicken had existed in the world of ideas long before chickens existed in the sensory world. According to Plato, the soul had "seen" the "idea" chicken before it took up residence in a body. But wasn't this just where Sophie thought Plato must be mistaken? How could a person who had never seen a live chicken or a picture of a chicken ever have any "idea" of a chicken? Which brought her to the next question:

Are we born with innate "ideas"? Most unlikely, thought Sophie. She could hardly imagine a newborn baby being especially well equipped with ideas. One could obviously never be sure, because the fact that the baby had no language did not necessarily mean that it had no ideas in its head. But surely we have to see things in the world before we can know anything about them.

"What is the difference between a plant, an animal, and a human?" Sophie could immediately see very clear differences.

For instance, she did not think a plant had a very complicated emotional life. Who had ever heard of a bluebell with a broken heart? A plant grows, takes nourishment, and produces seeds so that it can reproduce itself. That's about all one could say about plants. Sophie concluded that everything that applied to plants also applied to animals and humans. But animals had other attributes as well. They could move, for example. (When did a rose ever run a marathon?) It was a bit harder to point to any differences between animals and humans. Humans could think, but couldn't animals do so as well? Sophie was convinced that her cat Sherekan could think. At least, it could be very calculating. But could it reflect on philosophical questions? Could a cat speculate about the difference between a plant, an animal, and a human? Hardly! A cat could probably be either contented or unhappy, but did it ever ask itself if there was a God or whether it had an immortal soul? Sophie thought that was extremely doubtful. But the same problem was raised here as with the baby and the innate ideas. It was just as difficult to talk to a cat about such questions as it would be to discuss them with a baby.

"Why does it rain?" Sophie shrugged her shoulders. It probably rains because seawater evaporates and the clouds condense into raindrops. Hadn't she learnt that in the third grade? Of course, one could always say that it rains so that plants and animals can grow. But was that true? Had a shower any actual purpose?

The last question definitely had something to do with purpose: "What does it take to live a good life?"

The philosopher had written something about this quite early on in the course. Everybody needs food, warmth, love, and care. Such basics were the primary condition for a good life, at any rate. Then he had pointed out that people also needed to find answers to certain philosophical questions. It was probably also quite important to have a job you liked. If you hated traffic, for instance, you would not be very happy as a taxi driver. And if you hated doing homework it would probably be a bad idea to become a teacher. Sophie loved animals and wanted to be a vet. But in any case she didn't think it was necessary to win a million in the lottery to live a good life.

Quite the opposite, more likely. There was a saying:

The devil finds work for idle hands.

Sophie stayed in her room until her mother called her down to a big midday meal. She had prepared sirloin steak and baked potatoes. There were cloudberries and cream for dessert.

They talked about all kinds of things. Sophie's mother asked her how she wanted to celebrate her fifteenth birthday. It was only a few weeks away.

Sophie shrugged.

"Aren't you going to invite anyone? I mean, don't you want to have a party?"

"Maybe."

"We could ask Martha and Anne Marie ... and Helen. And Joanna, of course. And Jeremy, perhaps. But that's for you to decide. I remember my own fifteenth birthday so clearly, you know. It doesn't seem all that long ago. I felt I was already quite grown up. Isn't it odd, Sophie! I don't feel I have changed at all since then."

"You haven't. Nothing changes. You have just developed, gotten older..."

"Mm ... that was a very grownup thing to say. I just think it's all happened so very quickly."
 楼主| 发表于 2019-1-19 11:41:44 | 只看该作者
少校的小木屋

.....镜中的女孩双眼眨了一眨.....   
时间才七点十五分,没有必要赶回家。苏菲的妈妈在星期日总是过得比较悠闲一些,因此她也许还会再睡个两小时。
她应不应该再深入树林去找艾伯特呢?上次那只狗为何对她叫得这么凶呢?
苏菲站起身来,开始沿上次汉密士走过的路走去,手里拿着那个装着柏拉图学说的棕色信封。遇到岔路时,她便挑大路走。
到处都可听到鸟儿们轻快的叫声。在林梢、在空中、在荆棘与草丛之中。这些鸟儿正忙于它们的晨间活动。对它们而言,周间与周末并没有分别。是谁教它们如此的呢?难道每一只鸟儿体内都有一架迷你电脑,设定好程式,叫它们做某些特定的事?
苏菲沿着路走上了一座小山丘,然后走到一个向下的陡坡,两旁都是高大的松树,树林非常浓密,以至于苏菲只能看到树与树枝间几码之处。
突然,她看到树干间有个东西在闪动。那一定是个小湖。路向另外一头延伸,但苏菲却转向树丛间走去。她不由自主地走着,自己也不太明白为什么会这样做。
这个湖并不比足球场大。在湖的彼岸,一块由银色桦树所围绕的小小空地上,有一栋红色的小屋。屋顶上的烟囱有一道轻烟正袅袅上升。
苏菲走到湖畔。这里有多处泥泞,不过后来她发现了一条小船,船身有一半在水中,里面还有一对桨。
苏菲环顾四周。看来无论她怎么做,都无法在不把鞋子弄湿的情况下,渡湖到小红屋那边。于是,她一咬牙,走到小船那儿,将它 推到水中。然后她爬上船,将桨固定在桨架上,开始划过湖面。不 一会儿,船便到了对岸。苏菲跨上岸,想把船拖上来。此处的湖岸要比刚才那边陡。
她只回头望了一望,便走向小木屋。

一探究竟

她对自己如此大胆的行径也感到讶异。她怎么敢这样做呢?她也不知道。仿佛有“某种东西”催促她似的。
苏菲走到小木屋的门前,敲敲门,但等了一会儿并没有人应门。她小心地转了一下门柄,门就开了。
“嗨!”她喊。“有人在家吗?”
她走进去,进入一个客厅,但却不敢把门带上。
这里显然有人住。苏菲听到柴火在旧炉子里发出哔哔剥剥的声音,显然不久前还有人在这里。
客厅里的一张大餐桌上放了一台打字机、几本书、几支铅笔和 一沓纸。面湖的窗前有一张较小的桌子和两把椅子。除此之外,屋里很少家具,不过有一整面墙都是书架,上面放满了书。一个白色的五斗柜上方挂了一面圆形的大镜子,外围镶着巨大的铜框,看起来已经是老古董了。
另外一面墙上挂着两幅画。一幅是油画作品,画里有一个建有红色船坞的小港湾,距港湾不远处有一栋白屋。船库与白屋之间是 一个有点坡度的花园,种了一株苹果树、几棵浓密的灌木,此外还有几块岩石。一排浓密的桦树像花环一般围绕着这座花园。画的题名为“柏客来”(Bjerkely)。
这幅油画旁挂了另一幅古老的肖像画。画的是一个男人坐在窗边的椅子上,怀中放了一本书,背景也是一个有树、有岩石的小港湾。这幅画看来像是几百年前画的,题名是“柏克莱”(Berkeley)。画家的名字叫史密伯特(Smibert)。
“柏克莱”与“柏客来”,苏菲心想,多奇怪呀!
苏菲继续勘查这座小木屋。客厅有一扇门通向一间小厨房。不久前这里刚有人洗过碗,盘子与玻璃杯都堆在一条茶巾上,其中几个碗杯上面还有几滴闪闪发光的肥皂水。地板上有一个锡碗,里面放着一些剩饭剩菜。这房子的主人一定养了狗或猫。
苏菲回到客厅。另外一扇门通向一间小小的卧室,里面有一张 床,旁边的地板上放着两、三条捆得厚厚的毯子。苏菲在毯子上发现几根金色的毛发。这就是证据了]现在苏菲知道住在这栋小木屋里的就是艾伯特和汉密士。
再回到客厅后,苏菲站在五斗柜上方的镜子前。镜面已经失去光泽,而且刮痕累累,因此她在镜中的影像也显得模糊不清。苏菲开始对着镜中的自己扮鬼脸,就像她在家中浴室里做的一般。镜中人也一如预期的跟着她的动作做。
突然间,一件骇人的事发生了。有一刹那,苏菲很清楚地看到镜中的女孩同时眨着双眼。苏菲吓得倒退了一步。如果是她自己同时眨动双眼,那她怎么看到镜中的影像呢?不仅如此,那个女孩眨眼的样子仿佛是在告诉苏菲:“我可以看到你喔!我在这里,在另外一边。”
苏菲觉得自己的心怦怦地跳着。就在这时候,她听到远处的狗吠声。汉密士来了!她得马上离开这里才行。这时她看到镜子下方的五斗柜上面有一个绿色的皮夹,里面有一张百元大钞、一张五十元的钞票以及一张学生证,上面贴着一张金发女孩的照片,照片下面写着女孩的名字:席德……
苏菲打了一个冷颤。她再次听到狗叫声,她必须马上离开!
当她匆匆经过桌旁时,看到那些书与纸堆旁放着一个白色的信封,上面写着两个字:“苏菲”。
在她还没有时间弄清楚自己在做什么以前,她已经一把抓起了那封信,把它塞到装着柏拉图学说的棕色信封里,然后她便冲出大门,把门在身后“砰!”一声关上。
狗叫声愈来愈近。但最糟的是小船不见了。一两秒钟后,她才看到它,原来它正在湖心漂浮,一只桨也在船边漂着。这都是因为她那时无力将它拖上岸的缘故。她听到狗叫声已经逼近,同时湖对岸的树林间也有一些动静。
苏菲不再迟疑。手里拿着大信封,她飞奔到小木屋后面的树丛中。不久她就已置身一片潮湿的沼地。当她在草地上跋涉时,好几次不小心踩进比她脚踝还高很多的水洼中。但是她非继续往前走
不可。她必须回家……回家。
不久,她看到了一条路。这是她来时所走的路吗?她停下来把衣服拧干,然后开始哭泣。
她怎么会这么笨呢?最糟的是那条船。她忘不了那船还有那只桨在湖上无助地漂浮的景象。真难为情,真是羞死人了……
她的哲学老师现在可能已经到达湖边了。他必须要坐船才能回到家。苏菲觉得自己几乎像是个罪犯一般,不过她不是故意的。
对了,那封信!这下,事情更糟了。她为什么要拿它呢?当然,
是因为信上写着她的名字,因此可以说那封信是她的。但即使如此,她仍然觉得自己像个小偷。更糟的是,她这样做无异留下证据,
显示擅闯小屋的不是别人,就是她。
苏菲把那信从信封里抽出来看,上面写着:
鸡与鸡的观念何者先有?
人是否生来就有一些概念?
植物、动物与人类的差别在哪里?
天为何会下雨?
人需要什么才能过好的生活?
苏菲现在没法思考这些问题。不过她想它们大概与下一位要讨论的哲学家有关。他不是叫亚理斯多德吗?

解释

苏菲在树林间跑了很久。当她终于看到家附近的树篱时,感觉就好像发生船难后游泳上岸的人一般。从这个方向看过去,那排树篱显得很滑稽。
她爬进密洞后,看了看腕表,已经十点半了。她把大信封放进饼干盒里,并把那张写着新问题的纸条塞进她贴身衬衣内。
她进门时,妈妈正在打电话。她一看到苏菲,马上挂掉电话。
“你到底到哪里去了?”
“我……我去……树林里散步。”她舌头有点打结。
“原来如此。”
苏菲静静地站着,看着水滴从她的衣服上滴下来。
“我打电话给乔安……”
“乔安?”
妈妈拿了几条干布来。苏菲差一点藏不住哲学家的纸条。然后她们母女两个一起坐在厨房里,妈妈泡了一杯热巧克力给苏菲喝。
过了一会儿后,妈妈问道;“你刚才是跟他在一起吗?”
“他?”
苏菲的脑海里想的只有她的哲学老师。
“对,他……那个跟你谈兔子的人。”
她摇摇头。
. “苏菲,你们在一起时都做些什么?为什么你会把衣服弄得这么湿?”
苏菲坐在那儿,神情严肃地看着桌子,心里却在暗笑。可怜的妈妈,她现在还得操心“那档子事”。
她再度摇摇头。然后妈妈又连珠炮似的问了她一堆问题。
“现在你要说实话。你是不是整晚都在外面?那天晚上你为什么没换衣服就睡了?你是不是一等我上床就偷跑出去了?苏菲,你才十四岁。我要你告诉我你到底和什么人交朋友!”
苏菲哭了起来,然后她便开始说话。因为她心里还是很害怕, 而当一个人害怕时,通常会想要说些话。
她向妈妈解释:她今天早上起得很早,于是便去森林里散步。
她告诉妈妈有关那小木屋与船,还有那面神秘镜子的事情,但她没有提到她所上的秘密函授课程。也没有提到那只绿色的皮夹。她也不知道为什么,不过她觉得她“不能”把有关席德的事说出来。
妈妈用手抱着苏菲,因此苏菲知道妈妈相信她了。
“我没有男朋友。”苏菲啜泣说,“那是我编的,因为那时候我说白兔的事情让你不高兴。”
“你真的一路走到少校的小木屋去……”妈妈若有所思地说。
“少校的小木屋?”苏菲睁大了眼睛。
“那栋小木屋叫少校的小木屋,因为多年前有一位老少校住在那儿。他性情很古怪,我想他大概有点疯狂吧。不过,别管这个了。
后来,小屋就一直空着。”
“不,现在有一个哲学家住在那里。”
“得了,苏菲,别再幻想了。”
苏菲待在房间内,心里想着这段时间发生的事。她的脑袋像一个满是大象、滑稽小丑、大胆空中飞人与训练有素的猴子闹哄哄的马戏团。不过有一个影像一‘直在她脑海里挥之不去,那就是一艘只有一只桨的小舟在林间深处的湖面上漂浮,而湖岸上有一个人正需要划船回家的情景。
苏菲可以肯定她的哲学老师不会愿意见她受伤,同时,即使他知道她到过他的小木屋,也一定会原谅她的。但是她打破了他们之间的协议。这就是他为她上哲学课所得的报酬吗?她要怎样才能弥补呢?
苏菲拿出粉红色的笔记纸,开始写信:
亲爱的哲学家:
星期天清晨闯进你的小屋的人就是我。因为我很想见到你,和你讨论一些哲学问题。现在我成了柏拉图迷,不过我不太确定他所说的存在于另外一个世界的观念或形式的说法是否正确。当然这些东西存在于我们的灵魂中,但我认为——至少现在如此——这是两回事。同时我必须承认,我还是不太相信灵魂是不朽的。就我个人来说,我不记得前生的事。如果你能够让我相信我奶奶死后的灵魂正在观念世界里过得很快乐,我会很感谢你。
事实上,我最初写这封信(我会把它和一块糖一起放在一个粉红色的信封里)并不是为了有关哲学的问题。我只是想告诉你我很抱歉没有遵守你的规定。我曾想办法把船拉上岸,但显然我的力气不够大,或者可能是一个大浪把船打走了。
我希望你已经设法回到家,而且没有把脚弄湿。但就算你把脚弄湿了,你也可以稍感安慰,因为我自己也弄得湿淋淋的,而且可能还会得重感冒。当然啦,我是自作自受。
我没有碰小屋里的任何东西,不过很惭愧的是,我受不了诱惑,拿走了放在桌上的那封信。我并不是想偷东西,只是因为信封上写着我的名字,所以我在一时糊涂之下,便以为那是属于我的。
我真的很抱歉,我答应以后绝不会再让你失望了。
P.S:从现在开始,我会把所有的新问题很仔细地想过一遍。
PP.S:白色的五斗柜上那面镶铜框的镜子是普通的镜子还是魔镜?我之所以这样问,是因为我不怎么习惯看到自己在镜中的影像同时眨着两只眼睛。
敬祝安好
学生 苏菲敬上
苏菲把信念了两遍,才装进信封。她觉得这次的信不像上一封那么正式。在下楼到厨房拿糖之前,她特地再看了一下纸条上的问题:
“鸡和鸡的观念,是何者先有?”

思索

这个问题就像“鸡生蛋还是蛋生鸡”这个老问题一样难以回答。没有蛋就没有鸡,但没有鸡也无从有蛋。“先有鸡还是先有蛋’这个观念”这个问题真的一样复杂吗?苏菲了解柏拉图的意思。他是说早在感官世界出现鸡以前,“鸡”这个观念已经存在于观念世界多时了。根据柏拉图的说法,灵魂在寄宿于人体之前已经
“见过“观念鸡”。不过这就是苏菲认为柏拉图可能讲错的地方。一个从来没有看过一只活生生的鸡,也从来没有看过鸡的图片的人怎么可能会有任何有关鸡的“观念”呢。这又让她想到下一个问题:
“人是否生来就有一些观念呢?”苏菲认为,这是不太可能的。
她很难想象一个初生的婴儿有很多自己的想法。当然,这点我们无法确定,因为婴儿虽不会讲话,也并不一定意味着他的脑袋里没有任何想法。不过我们一定要先看到世间之物,才能对这些事物有所了解吧!
“植物、动物与人类之间有何区别?”答案太明显了,苏菲可以立即指出来。
例如,她认为植物没有复杂的感情生活。谁听过风铃草伤心欲碎?植物生长、吸收养分,然后制造种子以繁衍下一代。除此之外,
就没有什么了。苏菲的结论是:植物所有的,动物与人类也都有,但动物还有其他的特色。例如,动物可以移动,(谁听说过一株玫瑰可以跑六十公尺?)至于动物与人类之间的区别就比较难说了。人类能够思考,动物也会吗?苏菲相信她的猫咪雪儿懂得如何思考。至少它很会为自己打算,但是它会思索哲学问题吗?一只猫会去思考植物、动物与人类之间的差异吗?这是不太可能的。一只猫可能很快乐,也可能不快乐,但它会问自己“世间有没有上帝”或“猫儿有没有不朽的灵魂”这类问题吗?苏菲认为这是非常令人怀疑的。不过,话说回来,这个问题就像婴儿有没有自己的想法一样难以回答。就像我们很难和婴儿讨论这类问题一样,我们也很难跟一只猫谈这些问题。
“天为何会下雨?”苏菲耸了耸肩膀。下雨是因为海水蒸发,云层凝聚成雨滴的缘故。这个道理她不是三年级就学过了吗?当然,我们也可以说天之所以下雨是为了要让植物、动物能够生长。但这是真的吗?天空下雨真的有任何目的吗?
无论如何,最后一个问题至少与目的有关
“人需要什么才能过好的生活?”
哲学家在课程开始不久时曾经谈过这个问题。每一个人都需要食物、温暖、爱与关怀。这类事物是良好生活的基本条件。接着哲学家指出,人们也需要为一些哲学问题寻找答案。除此之外,拥有一份自己喜欢的工作可能也是很重要的。举例来说,如果你讨厌塞车,那么你要是当个计程车司机绝对不会快乐。如果你不喜欢做作业,那么你也许不太适合当老师。苏菲喜欢动物,想当兽医。不过,无论如何,她不认为人一定要中百万大奖才能过得好。事实上很可能正好相反。不是有句俗话说“游手好闲,易生祸端”吗?
苏菲一直待在房间内,直到妈妈叫她下楼吃晚饭为止。妈妈煮了沙朗牛排与烤马铃薯。真棒!餐桌上点了蜡烛,饭后还有奶油草莓当甜点。
吃饭时,母女俩谈天说地。妈妈问苏菲想如何庆祝自己的十五岁生日。再过几个礼拜苏菲的生日就到了。
苏菲耸了耸肩。
“你不想请别人到家里来吗?我的意思是,你不想开个宴会吗?”
“也许。”
“我们可以请玛莎和安玛丽来……还有海姬,当然啦,还有乔安,说不定还可以请杰瑞米。不过这得由你自己决定。你知道吗?
我还很清楚的记得我自己过十五岁生日酌情景。感觉上好像才没过多久。当时我觉得自己已经很大了。这不是很奇怪吗?苏菲。我觉得从那以后,自己好像一点都没变。”
“你没变啊。什么事情都没有改变。你只是不断成长,一年比 一年大罢了……”
“嗯……你说话已经有大人的口气了。我只是认为一切都发生得太快了,快得让人害怕。”
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|手机版|导航中医药 ( 官方QQ群:110873141 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-16 00:00 , Processed in 0.062147 second(s), 12 queries .